• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Help ID this little guy in SE Arizona, United States (2 Viewers)

I have been seeing him for about two weeks in Cochise County, AZ. He is about the size of a house finch. The pictures unfortunately are not very good, but in real life, the most striking thing is the feathers on top of the head look like a crewcut. A reddish breast and white patches on either side of the neck.

Attachments

• Bird.jpg
    Bird.jpg
    158 KB · Views: 48
  • Bird 2.jpg
    Bird 2.jpg
    157.5 KB · Views: 48
  • Bird 3.jpg
    Bird 3.jpg
    151.1 KB · Views: 48
Welcome to BF.
It looks (fairly) like an adult male house finch with an aberrant head-pattern. The whole of the underparts looks right for house finch. Would be nice to see the bill better.
Thank you. I was wondering if he were a mutation, a mix of something (like piroxholia and house finch), or just a very lost guy who should be a thousand miles away. I will look and see if he has the same beak as the house finches. I don't have a good camera. Those were taken with a phone, and they were hard to get because he doesn't stay still.

Hi Rebecca and welcome to the forum from an ex-Cochise County resident. The body does look like a finch, I do wish we could see his beak better.

I have been seeing him for about two weeks in Cochise County, AZ. He is about the size of a house finch. The pictures unfortunately are not very good, but in real life, the most striking thing is the feathers on top of the head look like a crewcut. A reddish breast and white patches on either side of the neck.
If he is an aberrant house finch, will the females mate with him, or will he be shunned because he looks different?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back