• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Help with a Myiarchus flycatcher from Brazil (Pantanal) (2 Viewers)

arodris

Hi,

I need help to identify this Myiarchus flycatcher I saw last August 23th, 2023 north to Passo do Lontra (Pantanal, Mato Grosso do Sul, Brazil). I see the undertail a little bit reddish and a brown cap, but not sure about species.

Thank you in advance.

Attachments

• 2023_08_23-IMG_4098-Brasil-Pantanal Sur-Passo do Lontra-Estrada Pantanal Sul-Myiarchus sp.jpg
    2023_08_23-IMG_4098-Brasil-Pantanal Sur-Passo do Lontra-Estrada Pantanal Sul-Myiarchus sp.jpg
    543.5 KB · Views: 20
  • 2023_08_23-IMG_4110-Brasil-Pantanal Sur-Passo do Lontra-Estrada Pantanal Sul-Myiarchus sp.jpg
    2023_08_23-IMG_4110-Brasil-Pantanal Sur-Passo do Lontra-Estrada Pantanal Sul-Myiarchus sp.jpg
    602.1 KB · Views: 20
  • 2023_08_23-IMG_4112-Brasil-Pantanal Sur-Passo do Lontra-Estrada Pantanal Sul-Myiarchus sp.jpg
    2023_08_23-IMG_4112-Brasil-Pantanal Sur-Passo do Lontra-Estrada Pantanal Sul-Myiarchus sp.jpg
    391.7 KB · Views: 20
  • 2023_08_23-IMG_4113-Brasil-Pantanal Sur-Passo do Lontra-Estrada Pantanal Sul-Myiarchus sp.jpg
    2023_08_23-IMG_4113-Brasil-Pantanal Sur-Passo do Lontra-Estrada Pantanal Sul-Myiarchus sp.jpg
    557.3 KB · Views: 20
I also thougth on brown chested, but the tail seems to be reddish, so I discarded it. What do you think, @THE_FERN?
According to avibase there are 3 candidates: Swainson's, brown-crested and short-crested. The rufous undertail rules out Swainson's. Of the others, only brown-crested has extensive rufous-orangy as here. I also think this bird's bill is rather large which is another character favouring brown-crested

Hi,

I need help to identify this Myiarchus flycatcher I saw last August 23th, 2023 north to Passo do Lontra (Pantanal, Mato Grosso do Sul, Brazil). I see the undertail a little bit reddish and a brown cap, but not sure about species.

Thank you in advance.
Without vocalization, correct identification is almost impossible. In the place where you photographed this individual, Myiarchus tyrannulus and also Myiarchus ferox occur. They are practically identical. Greetings from Brazil

Users who are viewing this thread

Back