• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hermit Thrush? - Eastern Ontario, Canada (1 Viewer)

Gordon W

Shot this morning in eastern Ontario, Canada, I think this is a hermit thrush, but not positive. Can someone confirm or correct that ID?

Attachments

• DSCN55574BF.jpg
    DSCN55574BF.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 52
Tail redder than back.
But also the whole of the upperparts are rather warm brown. Is this OK for eastern hermit thrush, or does this bring veery into the frame? It's a difficult angle, but I would have thought blackish chest-markings of hermit thrush would probably be (just) visible here, and they're not.

Shot this morning in eastern Ontario, Canada
Covers a massive potential area. It's important to know more, please.

does this bring veery into the frame?
Hmmmm.... that does look like a possibility, I agree the cap and overall tone looks rather warm for a hermit. Hard to be super confident without knowing the camera settings, but of course both species are somewhat variable. I still think there's a clear contrast between the tail and the rest, which means it has to be a hermit unless there's something really unusual going on with the lighting.

I can't see enough of the breast to draw any conclusions about breast spotting. Again, both species are variable, you need a good look. You can see a bit of dark spotting under the chin - I'd argue it's too dark for a veery. But another photo would help.

Behavior would help too. Hermits do a lot of tail-wagging, veeries don't.

Shot 200 km west of Montreal.

The bird gave me only three seconds to get it in the viewfinder, focus, and shoot and then it was gone right after I hit the shutter, so regrettably I had no time for any more shots or to notice behavior.

Hermit Thrush for me – the tail is noticeably redder than the back, and this shouldn't be the case on a Veery. I think the lighting is making the upperparts look much warmer than they would in more neutral lighting.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back