• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hi from SE England. We’re bird mad - we have a bird box with camera. 2 years ago we had great tits nest, with 3 successful fledges from 6 eggs. (1 Viewer)

Patandgavin

England
Last year nothing. This year Great Tits are back, and had been building, until a few days ago. No activity for a few days, but a lot of loud plaintive cheeping from one of them.
We should maybe know this after previous experience, but could there be a period of inactivity between nest-building, and eggs ? Appreciate input

Hi Pat and Gavin and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators. I've really no idea about this but I should imagine it will take a good few days for the first egg to be formed and laid. Thereafter they usually lay one per day until the clutch is complete. Only then do they start to brood them so they all hatch on the same day.

You can read more about Great Tits in our Opus article: Great Tit - BirdForum Opus

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news.

Hi Pat and Gavin, welcome to the forum. I think you will find us a friendly and helpful group.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back