• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hi, I know its not normal practice to show Leucistic or Melanistic birds on the Forum. (2 Viewers)

Bilbander

United States
Hi, On the 19th of July this very dark Willet was at EB Forsythe wild life reserve NJ , USA.
My question is what is the correct scientific description for the coloration and if it is a Easter Willet.
Also has anyone ever seen one like this before? Oddly there was a white one reared last year here as a chick and re-sighted this spring.
The dark bird is the one standing on the right.
There are two photos on this website
Bill

Attachments

• _DSC1027.jpg
    _DSC1027.jpg
    600.1 KB · Views: 66
Hi, welcome to the forum on behalf of the staff and moderators. I think you will find us a friendly and helpful group. I’m moving this to the ID forum where more will see it to help answer your questions. And, FYI, I haven’t noticed any problems with posting leucistic or melanistic birds on here.

Hi Bilbander and a warm welcome from me too. Indeed there's no issue in posting variant colours of birds. You can read more about leucism and melanism in our Opus Dictionary, this is the link to L where there's more links to other variant colours: Dictionary G-L - BirdForum Opus

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I hope to hear about all the birds you see when out and about.

I think melanistic is as good a term as any for your bird. With darker than normal birds one always has to ask if the color can be due to some kind of staining, but the pattern here looks like it is intrinsic to the bird and not staining. I have seen lots of Willets (mostly Western) in my life, but never before one like this.

I think melanistic is as good a term as any for your bird. With darker than normal birds one always has to ask if the color can be due to some kind of staining, but the pattern here looks like it is intrinsic to the bird and not staining. I have seen lots of Willets (mostly Western) in my life, but never before one like this.
Thanks rkj,
Do you think its an Eastern Willet?
Did you open the web site?
I felt showing the Normal Willet with its wings open and not the dark one may have confused people. I had taken the Eastern as a comparison with the dark Willet with its wings open.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back