• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

High magnification without a fine focus knob? (1 Viewer)

tenex

reality-based
Last fall I tried a 3.5mm eyepiece on Jupiter and Saturn, giving about 125x on my S2 scope. I suspect its optics would support that, but it was a dismal failure due mainly to poor seeing (probably typical here) but also the mechanical challenge of focusing. Actually, that's already beginning to be tricky at 88x with the 5mm eyepiece I have, which works well for planets and sometimes also for daylight birding. Does anyone have practical tips for managing this better with a single focusing ring?

Depends if there is backlash in the focus. If not and it’s just a case of making very small movements then adding a large diameter knob to the focusser would help. If it’s just a soft focusser with backlash then trial and error come in. I have some scopes with poor focussers and find that you have to focus through in one direction, note what best focus looks like and then focus back through and stop as close to it as possible. If you try to adjust the focus back and forth near best focus then the backlash leads to no motion and frustration. I have to use this on some scopes that even have a fine focus knob.

Good luck

Peter

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back