• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

High power binoculars for lake and mountain viewing or use my BT? (1 Viewer)

Looking for high power binoculars on a tripod mount for bird watching across a lake. I was thinking about the new Oberwerk 20x70 ED which seem to be well-priced and cool color:

But I already have an Oberwerk BT-100XL SD with 7mm and 14mm eyepieces that I use for astronomy. Would I be better off just buying the 22mm eyepieces for the BT-100 at this point in time vs buying a new toy?

I don't think there is any contest here. The BT with 22 mm eyepieces easily wins. The BT-100XL SD has APO optics, so you have virtually no chromatic aberration up to 80x, whereas the 10x70 ED is going to show some even at 20x. The AFOV on both would be about the same with the 70 degree AFOV eyepieces in the BT, but the BT would no doubt be brighter with the much larger 100 mm aperture. Keep your BT and get the new eyepieces.

Looking for high power binoculars on a tripod mount for bird watching across a lake. I was thinking about the new Oberwerk 20x70 ED which seem to be well-priced and cool color:

But I already have an Oberwerk BT-100XL SD with 7mm and 14mm eyepieces that I use for astronomy. Would I be better off just buying the 22mm eyepieces for the BT-100 at this point in time vs buying a new toy?
Do you enjoy viewing with one eye or two eyes? I hate squinting one eyed thru my scopes for any length of time, and finally got an eyepatch to solve the problem. But using two eyes does seem to improve the pleasure of the view immensely.

I have a good deal of sympathy with lilcrazy2 post 4. My personal choice would be to get the binoculars so you have a genuine choice of viewing comfort.

Lee

I have a good deal of sympathy with lilcrazy2 post 4. My personal choice would be to get the binoculars so you have a genuine choice of viewing comfort.

Lee
Am I missing something here? The Oberwerk BT-100XL SD is also a binocular just like the Oberwerk 20x70 ED except for you can change the eyepieces to vary the magnification. The Oberwerk BT-100XL SD will have the same comfort as the Oberwerk 20x70 ED because you are also using both eyes for viewing. In fact, it will be a bit more comfortable because with the separate 22 mm eyepieces you will have 15 mm of ER instead of the 12 mm as in the Oberwerk 20x70 ED. By the way, that Oberwerk BT-100XL SD looks sweet! It is a beautiful instrument, and it makes me want one, but $3000! Yikes. It would be nice for astronomy and long distance viewing.

med_gallery_2707_15761_2471108.jpg

Last edited:
Exactly. (I too would just get the eyepieces.)

Edit: Those are Pentax XW eyepieces at ~$300 each in the photo above. Is this 100mm a clone of the APM, and if not, how many independent makers of such instruments are there?
The Oberwerk XL's are not clones of the APM. We released them in 2018, as replacements for our aging BT-100-45 (which we introduced in 2003), as well as the BT-70-45 and BT-80-45. The XL models are unique, they're made in our own assembly plant, and are exclusive to Oberwerk.

I’d pop some Baader Morpheus in the binoscope and enjoy the immersive view, you’ll need to haul a larger tripod about, but the view will be worth it. I have a 70mm binoscope and have wondered what a 100mm would do.

Peter

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back