• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

House Martin guarding nest over winter (1 Viewer)

Mightydev

Ireland
When our house martins leave for warmer climes one or two of them stay behind and appear to guard the nests over the winter. They tend to get very fat and patrol on the ground below the nests. Is this well known behavior for House Martins?

Hi Dev and a warm welcome from me too. House Martins can't stay here through the winter as there's no insects for them to eat. They catch their food on the wing.

The only species I can think of, at the moment, that it could be is the White Wagtail, or the version we have here is called the Pied Wagtail. You can see a picture here (by Christine Redgate) on our Opus article: White Wagtail - BirdForum Opus (the subspecies yarrelli). But as Richard says, a picture if you can manage it (wagtails are difficult as they are never still.... always wagging their tails LOL), would help us sort this out. They will make use of nest boxes to roost in over the winter.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I hope to hear about all the birds you see when out and about.

Hi all,

OK, I think it’s a case of human error on my behalf…no surprises! We live next to a river and I think it’s a dipper! It got me because we do have housemartins right where these two were roosting and they look so similar when puffed up and from the front with white bib.

The penny dropped when I saw one today flying at low level over the water and then go in for a dip. I took a pic.. Oh well, no fame and glory for me having discovered weird overwintering housemartins….

Bad photo attached

Attachments

• IMG_5409.jpeg
    IMG_5409.jpeg
    84.9 KB · Views: 32
Thanks very much for identifying it as a pied wagtail. A further development is that the little guy is perching on and attacking my wing mirrors and car windows. Lots of bird poo on the car. Any way to stop him doing this?

Attachments

• IMG20240320183126.jpg
    IMG20240320183126.jpg
    4.8 MB · Views: 3
Hi again Mightydev

He sees the bird in the mirror as a rival, so possibly the best thing to do would be to try to cover the mirrors (or turn them in if you are able to do that). This behaviour will last for a few weeks, as he must protect his bride from the attentions of another guy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back