• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

How long do red tail hawks leave nest while there are eggs in it? (1 Viewer)

Greetings all,

How long do red tail hawks leave their nests while there are eggs in it? Here is why I ask:

I live in southern California, USA, and my house is way up on a hill so I can look down into treetops below. Near the top of a gray pine, there is a red tail hawk's nest, and we have trained a telescope to look down into it; we can't see all the way into the bottom of the nest (thus can't see any eggs) but when the female hawk is in the nest, even when she is really hunkered down we can see her back and head. A couple months ago, a pair of mated hawks (presumably the same who used the nest last year) were visiting the nest periodically, and doing some "home improvement" tasks, and then maybe a month ago, one hawk was hunkered down in the nest most of the day. We presume she had laid eggs and was laying on top of them. Last year, the chicks hatched sometime a little before April 24th, so, if the timing is approximately the same, we are hoping to see chicks in 10 days or two weeks.

However, starting about 4 days ago, we started to notice that there were no adult hawks in the nest for many hours of the day. I started to wonder if maybe she didn't lay eggs for some reason this year. However, there was always a hawk back in the nest by the next morning, and even if out and about for most of the day, one of the adults would return to the nest from time to time during the day. If there were no eggs, I don't think they would be inclined to return to the nest at all. And by the way, when an adult hawk is in the nest, it is hunkered down in the center of the nest, where eggs would be, as opposed to perching on the side of the nest.

So I am wondering if this absence from the nest for long periods is normal? I will note one thing: A month ago, weather around here was cold, rainy, and windy, but for the last week or so, things have warmed up and we have been enjoying beautiful spring weather. Is it possible that mom feels obliged to stay with the eggs when the weather is inclement, but feels free to wander away for hours if the weather is fine an sunny?

Thanks in advance for any insight!

Otherchuck

Greetings all,

How long do red tail hawks leave their nests while there are eggs in it? Here is why I ask:

I live in southern California, USA, and my house is way up on a hill so I can look down into treetops below. Near the top of a gray pine, there is a red tail hawk's nest, and we have trained a telescope to look down into it; we can't see all the way into the bottom of the nest (thus can't see any eggs) but when the female hawk is in the nest, even when she is really hunkered down we can see her back and head. A couple months ago, a pair of mated hawks (presumably the same who used the nest last year) were visiting the nest periodically, and doing some "home improvement" tasks, and then maybe a month ago, one hawk was hunkered down in the nest most of the day. We presume she had laid eggs and was laying on top of them. Last year, the chicks hatched sometime a little before April 24th, so, if the timing is approximately the same, we are hoping to see chicks in 10 days or two weeks.

However, starting about 4 days ago, we started to notice that there were no adult hawks in the nest for many hours of the day. I started to wonder if maybe she didn't lay eggs for some reason this year. However, there was always a hawk back in the nest by the next morning, and even if out and about for most of the day, one of the adults would return to the nest from time to time during the day. If there were no eggs, I don't think they would be inclined to return to the nest at all. And by the way, when an adult hawk is in the nest, it is hunkered down in the center of the nest, where eggs would be, as opposed to perching on the side of the nest.

So I am wondering if this absence from the nest for long periods is normal? I will note one thing: A month ago, weather around here was cold, rainy, and windy, but for the last week or so, things have warmed up and we have been enjoying beautiful spring weather. Is it possible that mom feels obliged to stay with the eggs when the weather is inclement, but feels free to wander away for hours if the weather is fine an sunny?

Thanks in advance for any insight!

Otherchuck
Hello Otherchuck. I am really hoping an expert will chime in here, but I'll share a similar story. I am observing a very urban nest in Los Angeles for a raptor study. The behavior of my red-tailed hawk pair is very different from last year. I saw a chick briefly, but the parents didn't nest sit with it much. The scientist in charge of the study assured me that it probably will be okay. Here, a week plus later, I was able to finally observe the now adolescent and an adult perching on the edge of the nest. While I don't have a great view of the nest (lucky you!) and have to drive to observe it, the adult hawks are seriously gone a lot this year. I am guessing that now that it is warmer, they don't require as much nest time with their young one, and their role is to to primarily bring meals. Good luck!!

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back