• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

How Long to Continue Feeding (1 Viewer)

BobNH

I have been feeding birds since last October here in Northern NJ. I understand that I should continue thru the birthing season, but was wondering whether I should pause for the Summer. Feeding them is one of the tasks I use to occupy my time during the pandemic lockdown, and it is certainly no burden on me, but I wanted to ask whether dependency is something to be concerned about. Should the birds be forced to rely on the natural food sources in my yard over the Summer?

Hi again Bob.

I can only re-iterate what I said in a previous post to you on this subject.

I feed my birds all the year. They come and go, visiting less often when there's plenty of feed available in the wider countryside, and I know they also visit feeders in other gardens.

I'm not sure why you're asking the same question again?

I have been feeding birds since last October here in Northern NJ. I understand that I should continue thru the birthing season, but was wondering whether I should pause for the Summer. Feeding them is one of the tasks I use to occupy my time during the pandemic lockdown, and it is certainly no burden on me, but I wanted to ask whether dependency is something to be concerned about. Should the birds be forced to rely on the natural food sources in my yard over the Summer?
I had been reading about dependency concerns when feeding wild rabbits, and wanted to see if there was any opinion about this when feeding wild birds.

I don't think you need to worry about birds becoming dependent on you for food, Bob. We put food out all year round.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back