• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hummingbirds Canopy Lodge Panama (1 Viewer)

49bentley

Canada
Can someone please identify these Hummingbirds? Taken near Canopy Lodge Panama in Sep.
Thanks
Chris

Attachments

• CAT01665-df.jpg
    CAT01665-df.jpg
    371.3 KB · Views: 16
  • CAT01667-df.jpg
    CAT01667-df.jpg
    406.2 KB · Views: 12
  • CAT01962-df.jpg
    CAT01962-df.jpg
    441.6 KB · Views: 14
  • CAT01964-df.jpg
    CAT01964-df.jpg
    343.6 KB · Views: 16
  • CAT01968-df.jpg
    CAT01968-df.jpg
    395.7 KB · Views: 16
I think the first is White-necked Jacobin.

The second birds shows a post ocular spot which I think rules out all similar species other than Fiery-throated?

Last edited:
I think the first is White-necked Jacobin.

The second birds shows a post ocular spot which I think rules out all similar species other than Fiery-throated?
Fiery throated is not there I think. Should be further west.

Edit: it's a male garden emerald

Last edited:
First bird is young male/old female White-necked Jacobin.

The very straight bill on the second bird rules out any of the other comparable lowland/foothill hummers except Garden Emerald. Given how small/indistinct the "post ocular" spot is I think it could just be an artifact of the angle.

Avery

Just to pile on that the second bird is definitely a Chlorostilbon, and on range that would be Garden Emerald as everyone else has said. For this genus I think the name Emerald is really well applied. Yhe body coloration of male Chlorostilbon spp is really quite simmering / oily emerald green, pretty distinctive.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back