• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hummingbirds in France? (1 Viewer)

sue127

Can anyone help please?We live in Basse Normandy, France, about 60 miles north of Mont St Michel. Last night at 8.30 my husband was in the garden and saw a hovering animal taking nectar from one of our climing plants (honeysuckle) at about gutter level (15 - 18 ft I guess). This animal I would estimate to have a body of approx 2 inches and a proboscis of approximately the same size.
It was beating its wings in a blur to hover while it fed. The wing span would be a little more than the overall body length so maybe 5 to 6 inches. My immediate thought was hummingbird but the books for this region say they are not known here. It is definately too big for the hummingbird hawk moth which we have anyway. I can't tell you a colour as it was well into dusk but the rest of the info. is accurate, (and it was before the eveing glass of wine). Any ideas/help would be greatly appreciated
Thanks
Sue

sue127 said:
Can anyone help please?We live in Basse Normandy, France, about 60 miles north of Mont St Michel. Last night at 8.30 my husband was in the garden and saw a hovering animal taking nectar from one of our climing plants (honeysuckle) at about gutter level (15 - 18 ft I guess). This animal I would estimate to have a body of approx 2 inches and a proboscis of approximately the same size.
It was beating its wings in a blur to hover while it fed. The wing span would be a little more than the overall body length so maybe 5 to 6 inches. My immediate thought was hummingbird but the books for this region say they are not known here. It is definately too big for the hummingbird hawk moth which we have anyway. I can't tell you a colour as it was well into dusk but the rest of the info. is accurate, (and it was before the eveing glass of wine). Any ideas/help would be greatly appreciated
Thanks
Sue

I would suspect one of the many species known as hummingbird moths.

I agree with humminbird, those hummingbird moths have fooled a number of people.

sue127 said:
Thanks
Sue

You saw a convolvulus hawk moth, I expect. We had one here last week and it is a big moth and similar to the hummingbird hawk moth. A lot of people are taken in by these moths, thinking they're hummingbirds, but hummingbirds do not occur in Europe.

I was just at Viviers France and videoed in full daylight in the sun the smallest hummingbird I have ever seen! I am calling in BeeAngel Hummer and I know the hummingbirds are only in the Americas but now ai don’t believe it! And have proof!who should I contact? National Geographic to report?

I had to cut this video short for inclusion in BF, which is a shame, but still shows a good view of a hummingbird hawk moth in my garden in UK today. I shot it in slow motion. They dart around between flowers very quickly in real time.

Attachments

• IMG_4718.MOV
    7.6 MB
I was just at Viviers France and videoed in full daylight in the sun the smallest hummingbird I have ever seen! I am calling it BeeAngel Hummer and I know the hummingbirds are only in the Americas -this hawk Humming-bird Hawk-moth was incredible! I took the photos from my iPhone video.

Attachments

• C1A6AC15-8FA4-4386-99D1-8B126EC81221.png
    C1A6AC15-8FA4-4386-99D1-8B126EC81221.png
    11.6 MB · Views: 14
  • 3DC77EC3-268A-4ED2-B60E-C047B80A3E3F.png
    3DC77EC3-268A-4ED2-B60E-C047B80A3E3F.png
    11.4 MB · Views: 12

Users who are viewing this thread

Back