• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

i.d. and explanation, please? (Aiken, South Carolina, USA, 26 Dec. 2022, ˜10:45 a.m.) (1 Viewer)

rsnidjik

We saw this majestic creature perched atop a metal pole in a utility easement (location info below). At first I thought it was some kind of patriotic statuette someone (a utility employee, I hoped) had mounted on the electrical pole. Instead, though, it was a live bird apparently showing its stuff to all who looked on. It actually shifted orientation to continue facing us as we walked by on the path below, so maybe it was warning us off its territory. It kept its wings spread the entire time we watched, which would have been about four minutes or so.

Can someone identify this bird from myRaptor_show_still01.jpg
View attachment Raptor_show_vid.mov
pitiful photo and video?

And what is it doing with this spread-wing display? I'd never seen anything like it.

Location: outskirts of Aiken, South Carolina, 26 December 2022, 10:47 a.m.

Last edited:
For the cold morning, it is more likely that it was “sun-bathing” in order to warm up; there are a lot of intermediate stages between classic “warm-blooded” and “cold-blooded” animals (more properly described as homoiothermic and poikilothermic).

For the cold morning, it is more likely that it was “sun-bathing” in order to warm up; there are a lot of intermediate stages between classic “warm-blooded” and “cold-blooded” animals (more properly described as homoiothermic and poikilothermic).
Thanks, WP, for the clear explanation. Makes sense.

Living not far from an intracoastal waterway in Myrtle Beach, I see dozens of these guys flying overhead. I love them.

I think studies show that vultures save significant amounts of energy by sunbathing in this way (as do I when it's cold: the alternative for me would be shivering which is quite energetic)

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back