• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Iceland - May 2023 (1 Viewer)

AndyS56

Here are the first few from my recent trip around Iceland. Image quality not great in a few of them as the weather wasn't great some of the time and / or they are heavily cropped.

1. Perhaps female Eiders, but odd that there are no males present.
3. I've not been able to find a gull with the yellow marking near the eye.

No joy with the rest - sorry.
All help much appreciated.

Andy
_L3A7511.jpg_L3A7562.jpg_L3A7723.jpg_L3A7753.jpg_L3A7918.jpg_L3A7762.jpg

Hello,
I agree with Owene on all:
1 picture: all Common Eiders for me too. Please note, that males moult into an female-like plumage during summer (eclipse). And that the three white breasted birds are males. If they are adult or immatures, is above my paygrade.

2 picture: its a Meadow or a Rock Pipit.
And its a Meadow Pipit imo by clean, sharp and contrasting spots on the back, but difficult to be sure for me.

3 picture is a Fulmar. Note the unique "tube-nose", a characteristic of maritim birds (too concentrate salt and get rid of this)

4 picture is a Red-necked Phalarope. Note unique colouration and fine, all dark bill

5 picture is a Common Snipe by long bill and vertical barred flanks a feature of snipes

6 picture Long tailed Duck: Note short, triangular bill and trinagular white patch on the head

Users who are viewing this thread

Back