• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

ID Help - Buteo sp - West Bengal, Eastern India (1 Viewer)

sbiswas.geo

Looking for identification help for this buteo species I sighted in Feb 2021. Location is Durgapur city outskirts, West Bengal, India. Habitat is a forest. Altitude 65 m. It was seen in flight from a distance, hence the quality of the images are below par. Is any species identification possible here? The likely candidates will be Steppe Buzzard (B. b. vulpinus), Himalayan Buzzard (B. refectus) and maybe Eastern Buzzard (B. japonicus) at this location.

Thanks.

P1690380E1.jpgP1690386E1.jpgP1690418E1.jpg

It doesn’t have a typical plumage type of refectus or japonicus imo- ie the 3 dark areas on pale plumage being combination of dark belly patch and dark carpal patches - plumage looks nearer to Upland hemilasius (if that’s even an option?) but not sure it looks long winged enough - Steppe would be my tentative guess but I would be very tempted to leave it as a ‘Buteo’.

I think that it is Himalayan or Eastern Buzzard, and not a vulpinus. It is an adult, and comparatively narrow dark trailing edge to the wing points to Himalayan/Eastern. Also roundish dark carpal areas contrasting against pale underwing coverts and large uniform belly patch. Quite uniformly dark head and upper breast separated form belly by a clear-cut pale belt is also a typical pattern of Himalayan/Eastern.

Hi Jalid - How many ‘typical’ patterns are there? (Not disputing your ID!)

You pointed this type of plumage as a being typical Himalayan some time back which looks quite different to the OP doesnt it? 😳 The OP seems to be solidly dark on the belly and trousers.

(image removed)

Last edited:
"Your" bird is also typical, but typical first-year bird. But yes, in very variable species there are multiple types of "typical" plumages, which makes it quite difficult for human beings to master.

It doesn’t have a typical plumage type of refectus or japonicus imo- ie the 3 dark areas on pale plumage being combination of dark belly patch and dark carpal patches - plumage looks nearer to Upland hemilasius (if that’s even an option?) but not sure it looks long winged enough - Steppe would be my tentative guess but I would be very tempted to leave it as a ‘Buteo’.
Hi Deb,

Thanks for your comment, but hemilasius would not be an option here. This is too far south from their distribution.

I think that it is Himalayan or Eastern Buzzard, and not a vulpinus. It is an adult, and comparatively narrow dark trailing edge to the wing points to Himalayan/Eastern. Also roundish dark carpal areas contrasting against pale underwing coverts and large uniform belly patch. Quite uniformly dark head and upper breast separated form belly by a clear-cut pale belt is also a typical pattern of Himalayan/Eastern.
Thank you. Much appreciated.

Hi Deb,

Thanks for your comment, but hemilasius would not be an option here. This is too far south from their distribution.
No I appreciate that as I noted - I also ruled it out on the basis of being is too short-winged any way however the plumage is extremely similar.

I have not been to Bengal but have been several timed to Northern India - both Steppe and Himalayan can be very difficult to separate - as Jalid says, there are ‘multiple types’ of plumages in these species, there is also a lot of overlap. I have seen quite a few individuals on my travels in the past that simply defied being pinned down to race. It is even more difficult to identify these from photos at times. Structure is helpful in the field and of course where plumage is not effected by out of focus blur or processing artefact.

Adult Steppe Buzzard in some plumages show a very dark broad trailing edge to the wing (which looks weak and defuse in the OP) and dark carpel patches with a pale covert line on the underwing with a pale breast band - a dark rufous/fox type mix which is the plumage I was thinking of: (ignore the Short-toed Eagle labelled as a LLB!)

I am hard pressed here to separate a Himalayan from a Steppe on this plumage but adult Steppe in this similar plumage has a broad black trailing edge to the wing compared to your bird as Jalid pointed out. While I would probably have left it as a ‘buteo’ sp without that added insight, and although I don’t personally know ‘Jalid‘ it is very obvious to me from previous postings on BF, he is somewhat of a major expert in raptor identification, so if he thinks it is a Himalayan, and with the benefit of hindsight, it certainly points to that, then I am certainly not going to argue! 🙂

Last edited:
No I appreciate that as I noted - I also ruled it out on the basis of being is too short-winged any way however the plumage is extremely similar.

I have not been to Bengal but have been several timed to Northern India - both Steppe and Himalayan can be very difficult to separate - as Jalid says, there are ‘multiple types’ of plumages in these species, there is also a lot of overlap. I have seen quite a few individuals on my travels in the past that simply defied being pinned down to race. It is even more difficult to identify these from photos at times. Structure is helpful in the field and of course where plumage is not effected by out of focus blur or processing artefact.

Adult Steppe Buzzard in some plumages show a very dark broad trailing edge to the wing (which looks weak and defuse in the OP) and dark carpel patches with a pale covert line on the underwing with a pale breast band - a dark rufous/fox type mix which is the plumage I was thinking of: (ignore the Short-toed Eagle labelled as a LLB!)

I am hard pressed here to separate a Himalayan from a Steppe on this plumage but adult Steppe in this similar plumage has a broad black trailing edge to the wing compared to your bird as Jalid pointed out. While I would probably have left it as a ‘buteo’ sp without that added insight, and although I don’t personally know ‘Jalid‘ it is very obvious to me from previous postings on BF, he is somewhat of a major expert in raptor identification, so if he thinks it is a Himalayan, and with the benefit of hindsight, it certainly points to that, then I am certainly not going to argue! 🙂
Thank you Deb. Very useful insights. Much appreciated.

Adding additional images received from co-birders. Not sure though if these help conclude between Himalayan and Eastern.

DSC_3331E1.jpg

Attachments

• DSC_3333E1.jpg
    DSC_3333E1.jpg
    144.7 KB · Views: 3
  • DSC_3334E1.jpg
    DSC_3334E1.jpg
    123.8 KB · Views: 3
  • DSC_3335E1.jpg
    DSC_3335E1.jpg
    112.4 KB · Views: 3
  • DSC_3337E1.jpg
    DSC_3337E1.jpg
    114.7 KB · Views: 3
Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back