• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

ID please, South Africa (1 Viewer)

Jack Dawe

Can someone ID this for me, please? Snapped in Grahamstown (as it was then), way back in October 2013. Habitat was gardens. I'm stumped. The most similar match I can find in my SASOL is Pale Flycatcher, but that seems to be eliminated on range. I'm guessing that it must be an African Dusky Flycatcher, but the other photos I have of that species show a bird with a much bulkier head.Grahamstown.jpg

Your bird does have a bulky head. Compared to Pale Flycatcher, your bird has a steeper forehead -- looks more like Dusky to me.

(The two species also differ in beak shape - Pale has a more distinct curve towards the tip, almost like a gull; Dusky is more smoothly tapering - but there's just enough angle here that I'm not confident I can see it in your photo.)

I see no reason to reject Dusky here, though I'm strictly going by photos on eBird.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back