• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Idetifiying formerly conspesific birds (1 Viewer)

Muratfaik

Hello,

I took these two photos at the same place; in Muğla-Göcek (Southwest Turkey) two days ago. There were 3 induviduals, one of them was slightly bigger than other two, and that one’s movements were at least twice as fast. Also it was feeding on higher branches of the tree. Similar disyllabic call was deeper in that bird and it was always chasing the other two (fly after them).

The most noticeable differences are, coloration of lower mandibule (bigger faster bird had almost completely black lower mandibule, but other two had the black color only on the 1/3rd of their lower mandibule. Other part was pinkish yellow), length and color of the wing bars (smaller birds had more prominent and complete wing bars, but faster and bigger bird had less obvious and shorter and discontinuous lesser wing bar), foot and shank colors (smaller birds had paler shanks and claws were creamy yellow, bigger one had blackish foot and shanks) and calls (although they have similar calls, smaller birds had a lower pitched disyllabic call. Bigger one had a characteristic Hume’s Leaf Warbler call). One more thing: smaller ones had slightly yellower eye stripe. By the way size difference was only 8-10 percent.

As a result, I think bigger, faster, black beaked bird was Hume’s Leaf Warbler, and the other two were Yellow-browed (Inonnate) Warbler. I would be glad if you kindly share your opinions. Thanks.

Murat F. Özçelik

Attachments

• 1AFCB9B7-96A2-45C2-B400-AD8D4C143492.jpeg
    1AFCB9B7-96A2-45C2-B400-AD8D4C143492.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 54
  • EAE74E28-0D06-4703-B030-E6939152D09D.jpeg
    EAE74E28-0D06-4703-B030-E6939152D09D.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 54
I’m learning lots of new words here, nice writeup too.

“Conspecific = of or belonging to the same species.”

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back