• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

ID's needed - Tring Reservoirs, Tring, Hertfordshire, England, UK (1 Viewer)

BenjiS

Ginga Ninja
England
Seen today, most I am pretty sure of but just want to double check
All except flying warbler? are labelled what I think, flying one my guess is either sedge or reed warbler

TIA

Attachments

• Chiffchaff or Willow Warbler.jpg
    Chiffchaff or Willow Warbler.jpg
    5.2 MB · Views: 118
  • Leistic Pochard.jpg
    Leistic Pochard.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 128
  • Possible Raven.jpg
    Possible Raven.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 126
  • Warbler.jpg
    Warbler.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 126
The reason I thought Raven was that it seemed to bigger than a few crows that were with it (before I got a photo)

Apologies for the quality of my photo but you can see the difference between heaviness of the bills of the bird in your photograph and this raven. Though the best way of distinguishing the difference is having them in close proximity with jackdaws... they tower over jackdaws.

Attachments

• 286F0653-0BEA-4D2C-B585-635A5788A304_1_201_a.jpeg
    286F0653-0BEA-4D2C-B585-635A5788A304_1_201_a.jpeg
    365.8 KB · Views: 25
albino rather than leucistic pochard (red eye)
Clearly not albino. And the red is v possibly photo-artefact - note the red fringes around other edges.
Corvid doesn't show anything to suggest raven. As has been often discussed (and shown) in these columns, bill-shape and -size are variable and commonly very difficult to make an ID on (and I wouldn't even suspect raven from your bird's bill anyway). Your best chance was probably before it landed, in seeing tail-shape (and to a lesser extent wing-shape) in flight - and, especially, hearing it call (key feature). (I get the impression that ravens are cropping up pretty widely; I now see them regularly in lowland flat Shropshire for instance.)
Flier looks v plausibly sedge warbler.

The nasal bristles of the corvid obviously cover less than 50% of the bill => Carrion Crow.
This tends to be a good feature even on bad pictures of "large corvids". And indeed it confirms the identification of Bewick's photo as Raven ;).

Clearly not albino. And the red is v possibly photo-artefact - note the red fringes around other edges.
Corvid doesn't show anything to suggest raven. As has been often discussed (and shown) in these columns, bill-shape and -size are variable and commonly very difficult to make an ID on (and I wouldn't even suspect raven from your bird's bill anyway). Your best chance was probably before it landed, in seeing tail-shape (and to a lesser extent wing-shape) in flight - and, especially, hearing it call (key feature). (I get the impression that ravens are cropping up pretty widely; I now see them regularly in lowland flat Shropshire for instance.)
Flier looks v plausibly sedge warbler.
Concur re Pochard. Ghosting of pattern and normal bill colour support leucism. Pochard has a red eye anyway and if it caught the light then it could easily look like this.

Also see a Carrion Crow not a Raven, even an immature Raven has a heavier bill than this.

Chiffchaff and Sedge Warbler seem reasonable.

John

Users who are viewing this thread

Back