• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Indian Ocean - 360 km W of Australia (1 Viewer)

Aladdin

Thailand
Dear Members and Bird Watchers

Indian Ocean - Cuvier Abyssal Plain - About 360 kn west of North West Cape in Australia

I have followed Butty's advice, not to do it in TOPAZ. So both original and the TOPAZ version attached.

And Butty was right, what a difference!

Problem might be that I just bought a new computer with a 4 K screen, everything is so small.

Anyway, I spotted this lonely bird this morning. An hour before I had one Red-footed Booby and one very dark bird that I could not ID.

This bird was also a loner and I tried to get pictures.

I have the Oceanic Birds of the World book, as an eBook, I have the paper book at home. After my last trip I decided to buy ebooks instead of carry 15 kg od bird guides. Ebooks take a while to try to get used when I am very old.

Oceanic birds does not work very well for me as ebook, but I have the "Albatrosses, Petrels and Shhearwaters of the world" with me as an ebook as well, and this is better. And I learned a lot from all th ehelp I got on bird forum yesterday.

From my poor pictures I have found 3 options.

1) Wedge-tailed Shearwater
2) Great Shearwater
3) Pink-footed Shearwater (lookinglm like my bird the most, but should not be in Australia)

I base this options on picture #2 showing the back. These are the only 3 birds I can see with the same back. And I chose to ID the bird as a Wedge-tailed because of the stripes going out from the back to the wings.

Anyone agree or disagree with my ID?

Kind Regards and Happy Birding
Aladdin

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 35
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 34
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg