• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Is it a Larus glaucoides thayeri ? (2 Viewers)

pandoo

South Korea
These photos were taken in South Korea on January 29th 2024.

In photo 2, it is the individual on the right, and in photos 3 and 4, it is the individual on the left.

I can see this feature: In premaries black outer webs, paler inner webs. From below, mostly pale hand with thin black trailing edge. And white hooks(when it sat).
Dark eye, legs bubblegum pink, thin straight bill and lagely white underside of wingtip.
Is it a Larus glaucodes thayeri ?

Attachments

• KJW_0345.jpg
    KJW_0345.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 66
  • KJW_0405.jpg
    KJW_0405.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 65
  • KJW_0477.jpg
    KJW_0477.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 73
  • KJW_0478.jpg
    KJW_0478.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 70
Looks like one to me. But better wait for someone who knows better. I think the primary pattern looks very good and the overall smaller build with a rounded head. I'm not used to seeing them with a bright base to the bill, but I don't think that's a problem anyway. Hopefully others will give some input :)

I'm not contradicting Lou here, he may well be correct and I can see definite appeal for Thayer's Gull, but I am somehow perplexed by the slightly 'pitbull terrier' little eye, which may suggest Glaucous-winged Gull influence somewhere along the line? That, and, while I don't remember the exact primary pattern best shown by an ideal Thayer's, I know that many Thayer's would have a black band on P5? But not all show this.

Looks like one to me. But better wait for someone who knows better. I think the primary pattern looks very good and the overall smaller build with a rounded head. I'm not used to seeing them with a bright base to the bill, but I don't think that's a problem anyway. Hopefully others will give some input :)
Thank you so much! I think so.πŸ‘

I'm not contradicting Lou here, he may well be correct and I can see definite appeal for Thayer's Gull, but I am somehow perplexed by the slightly 'pitbull terrier' little eye, which may suggest Glaucous-winged Gull influence somewhere along the line? That, and, while I don't remember the exact primary pattern best shown by an ideal Thayer's, I know that many Thayer's would have a black band on P5? But not all show this.
Thank you for letting me know.❀

Users who are viewing this thread

Back