• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Is this a Woodhouse's Jay? (1 Viewer)

MattDinUtah

United States
I've seen a couple of these in the trees behind the house on two occasions. The adult Woodhouse's Jays are very easy to identify, and once in a great while a Pinyon Jay will drop in, but I'm a little stumped on these mostly gray ones. They don't look particularly young, their call is decidedly different than the one the normally colored Woodhouse's Jays make, so I'm a little stumped on if they're adolescent jays or something else. Any ideas?

Woodhouse's Jay 20210728-11 small.jpg

After searching the google images for Pinyon Jay, It looks very close to an immature Pinyon Jay. A very nice image btw!

We would really welcome this into the birdforum gallery labeled as an immature bird, not many of those get uploaded.

best
Niels

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back