• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Italy Rome Sparrow (1 Viewer)

Ianmoo

IanMoors
Is this an Italian Sparrow taken in Rome last week.
I also noticed fairly large swifts flying around the hotel in the mornings they weren't Alpine swifts no white belly.
Thanks for your help.

Attachments

• 20240416_143919.jpg
    20240416_143919.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 59
  • 20240416_143852.jpg
    20240416_143852.jpg
    153.8 KB · Views: 60
Hi. Looks like one too me. Short, white supercilium, white cheeks, black bib, and greyish, slightly streaked breast/flank. The only other confusing species - other than House - would be a, Spanish sparrow, which, has bold dark streaking on the breast/mantle, and a more prominent supercilium.

Is this an Italian Sparrow taken in Rome last week.
Yes - because there are, apparently, no regular house sparrows there. But crown colour isn't visible here as the photos are underexposed (no offence), so they can't be visually identified. In my opinion. You might be able to see it if you edit the photos to lighten them.
fairly large swifts . . . weren't Alpine swifts no white belly
In that case they were either common swift or pallid swift - and were thus actually the size of common swift. Judging the size of a lone bird (or a bird without another of known species alongside it) is notoriously unreliable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back