• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Jun for fun. Dead serious (not) review of some 60x60 night vision ? binoculars (4 Viewers)

beacon hill

Please mods, remove if not allowed.
Just for fun, after a customer donated (wanted rid of) a set of Amazon 60x60 ? binoculars
I did a dead serious :unsure: video about them.
It contains no mockery or play on words whatsoever - Well OK, just a little. It is clean
Going by the early comments on YT it has brightened a few viewers days

These ridicilously stated configurations is aimed as a selling argument to completely ignorant buyers. Actually the fooled buyers shall be happy the magnification is not as high as stated!

In my opinion this binocular and the many other binoculars with ridiculous claims are fraudulent.

I also think that the makers, and sellers know this is fraud, but just don't care.

It is about time the Trading standards office seized all these binoculars and destroyed them, and the sellers fined and shut down.

I think that in Italy and France the law allows the buyers to be fined and even jailed if buying this type of merchandise.

Regards,
B.

What about these Russian made (apparently) beauties?

There's a couple of things I find interesting here. Firstly 80x120 - these binoculars look quite small but must actually be huge if the figures are to be believed, each objective bigger than a atx 115, amazing.

Also 5m at 10000m fov, read carefully though - that's 5m visible at a 10km range.

I suspect hand held stability would be a lick challenging if the specs are to be believed....

Last but not least though, where is the focus wheel, conventional wisdom would indicate depth of field wouldn't be this type of instruments forte, are they i.f?

The mind boggles.
Screenshot_20240321-172401.png

Firstly, I don't think the binocular is made in Russia or is a Baigish.

I think that this is a Chinese fake with added lies about what it is.

There are other fake, probably made in China, so called Russian binoculars.

Although Russia is a very bad place nowadays, their optics are usually some of the most truthful made.

I doubt that it is in the interests of Russia to destroy this reputation, although anything is possible.

There are Chinese made optics made for Russia, but with truthful specs.

In this internet age, though, truth is a luxury that few follow.

Regards,
B.

The same binocular is sold for £89 and £128 reduced from £199.
One is clearly from a Chinese seller.

The binocular is claimed to be waterproof, which could be possible with no moving parts.

It is probably about 6x18.

It has red coated objectives.

It is fake and even if it had no false markings is worth about £8 if collimated.

It would not surprise me if the majority of Chinese binoculars are fake or fraudulent.

They just don't care.

Regards,
B.

Please mods, remove if not allowed.
Just for fun, after a customer donated (wanted rid of) a set of Amazon 60x60 ? binoculars
I did a dead serious :unsure: video about them.
It contains no mockery or play on words whatsoever - Well OK, just a little. It is clean
Going by the early comments on YT it has brightened a few viewers days

Wow. Nice review. I always wanted to have one with these beautiful deep red coatings 😍 Definitely worth buying one.

I think that in Italy and France the law allows the buyers to be fined and even jailed if buying this type of merchandise.
Buyers?! That seems a bit harsh.

It would be rather difficult to prove that I bought an item with express knowledge that the seller was falsely advertising. 80, 120, 14, 5/10000 ... probably quite a few of your average Joe Smiths wouldn't know the true meanings or possibilities of these anyhow.

In France the law is probably meant for fake Hermes bags, fake clothes and fake Rolex watches.

But I don't know the limits of the law.

I don't know the position in England if one buys a fake Rolex.

Trading Standards do seize and destroy fake items, but they are probably too understaffed to empty an Amazon warehouse if it has fake goods.

Regards,
B.

P.S.
'Importing a counterfeit product, even for personal use, is always illegal.'

Whether this is accurate in English law, I don't know, but it probably is.

Last edited:
There were loads of adverts on YouTube recently for a spotting scope in the same vein. The video was professionally made and promised a fantastic performance. The manufacturers seem to price this junk at a low enough price to lure people in. I would imagine that they rely on people not being bothered to claim their money back because they haven't spent very much. Also I bet a lot of these are purchased as presents.These products definitely want reporting to Trading Standards as it is obviously false advertising.

These sorts of things have been around forever though. Isn't there a pic in the "Koran of Kollimation" showing a binocular labelled as "100x50" or something stupid like that - dating from the era when Japan was where cheap binoculars were made - the PRC of today?

Today it's easier than ever before to find out the rudiments of what binoculars are about. If you can't be arsed to do that, I'm not saying you deserve to be fleeced, as that would be a tad harsh, and yes - trading standards should be enforced. But the buyer has had to beware for centuries before binoculars were ever invented. "Caveat emptor".

Last edited:
Considering how gullible some buyers are, I wouldn't be surprised if you received order inquiries. :)
I am not actually the seller. Were donated by an unhappy Amazon buyer. Hence me not doing the usual sales plug at the end.
Was just a fun upload alongside the usual stuff . Was in fact one of two sets he donated, which I shall donate on to others.
I did actually have a little joke at the other set in another review.
But you never know. Even a bad review can have the opposite effect

5.7 degrees, a moderate field at 2,000x.

There is a 5000x25 binocular offered. Costs about £15.

William Herschel discovered the planet Uranus with his home made 6 inch speculum reflector using about 250x, 450x and 900x.
He was able to say that it was not a star but an extended object,.
Initially he thought it was a comet.

However, he had a set of eyepieces, since accurately measured that went up to 7,000x or 6,000x.
These were tiny glass spheres and the field was about half Saturn's disc, I think, say 10 arc seconds.

Enjoy your new found monocular. The Moon is only about 120 miles away.

Regards,
B.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back