• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Kazakhstan signs up to protect important wetlands (1 Viewer)

Chris Monk

Kazakhstan signs up to protect important wetlands

The news gives greater strength to conservation work in the country, say conservationists working to protect Globally Threatened Birds like Dalmatian Pelican Pelecanus crispus and White-headed Duck Oxyura leucocephala.

The Convention on Wetlands, signed in Ramsar, Iran, in 1971, is an intergovernmental treaty which provides the framework for national action and international cooperation for the conservation and wise use of wetlands and their resources.

The first Ramsar site to be declared in Kazakhstan will be the ‘Tengiz-Korgalzhyn Lake System’. The site comprises the complete lake system, the lake shore areas as well as a buffer zone. Altogether the area totals some 353,000 hectares.

An associated nature museum and visitors’ centre will encourage the use of the site for science-based tourism and research.

The news has been welcomed by the Association for the Conservation of Biodiversity in Kazakhstan (ACBK) who have been working towards Kazakhstan’s succession to the Convention.

“Korgalzhyn and Tengiz Lakes are particularly important areas for migratory birds” said Valery Khrokov, President of ACBK. “Accession to the Ramsar Convention will help us ensure that our efforts to conserve them fit into a global strategy for conserving wetland birds.”

Work towards this accession, including a Ramsar Small Grants Fund project, has also been assisted by BirdLife International, mainly through the RSPB (BirdLife in the UK) and by the United Nations Development Programme.

“Conserving migratory birds relies heavily on the involvement and commitment of all of the countries in which these birds reside” said Dave Pritchard, International Treaties Adviser at RSPB. "Kazakhstan has a huge wealth of wetland habitats - that they have joined Ramsar is great news for bird conservation in the region."

The Ramsar Convention has become one of the most important global mechanisms for BirdLife Partners in their national work. Many Partners have contributed to the designation of IBAs as Wetlands of International Importance in their countries, and many help to monitor these sites.

Created: 16th Jan 2007

Hi Chris,

Thank you for reporting this it is good to hear of a country caring for its wetlands and the migratory birds that reside there instead of destroying them for short term financial gains for industrial/commercial use.

Let us hope more countries follow them and apply for RAMSAR status.

Ann :egghead: :flowers:

Kazakhstan birding

>>> Lubomir Peske LPeske'at'seznam.cz 17/01/2007 23:46:11 >>>wrote:

Dear Chris,

In Russian chat I found your information that Kazakhs declared the first ramsar site. You are active in this field?

It is very important country for all birds flying from west Siberia.

I was in Kazakhstan twice. Last time we followed migrating birds in autumn 2004.

I think that very important (and very little known) is the area along river Syrdarja (as birds mostly make an arch around mountains). I did not see anywhere so many black storks and herons like there. Due to complicated transport and bad visibility in high reeds, marshes and canals without bridges we could not see ducks and waiders but there were many flying over us. You can download our small book about it from http://www.rozhlas.cz/odysea/publications/ And click first "New Odyssey".

Archive of reports from Kazakhstan: http://www.rozhlas.cz/odysea/clanky/_zprava/138026
(and around, but this is not in english), english summary here: http://www.rozhlas.cz/odysea/projekt/_zprava/95693

All our black storks stopped there for longer time after flying fast over dry steps in the north (a day record is 675 km!). It is not only a river but many paddles and small salty lakes in depressions (up to 50 km left and right) drying up after spring floods. Plenty of small fish, no people.

Since that time I think how to arouse interes about this world important place.

If you will need more data about this places (in fact it is a large area with old meanders from Aral sea to almost Shymket, together 600km), let me know.(Map of black stork migration, details about 3 black storks and a picture enclosed).

Best regards
Lubomir

PS: I will ask friends in south Bohemia about eagle x bittern problem.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back