• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Kite or Swarovski stay on cover for ATX 85 (1 Viewer)

pimpelmees

What is the best one or is it not necessary to put a stay on case on the ATX as it sits always in the way of operating the ATX comfortable

Just my humble, very personal opinion: Making use of a scope fitted in a stay on case is like making love in snowsuits.
Your scope is armored for a reason. ;)

Here is the picture. This solution makes it much easier to use both the focus ring and the zoom. Especially with gloves in the winter.

Attachments

• D55111FC-59C5-4543-B3FC-16DC11FDF9EA.jpeg
    D55111FC-59C5-4543-B3FC-16DC11FDF9EA.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 71
Opinions vary on using a stay on case or not. (You can find quite some opinions on that in earlier threads.)
Personally, I prefer having such a SOC on my scope. In my case, SOC’s from Kite. It is not cheap (still cheaper than the Swarovski SOC), but compared to the price of the scope, it is a limited amount of money for some added protection. I’m not sure if the SOC will add significant protection for the body against bumps etc., but at least it protects the outer lenses better when carrying the scope over long distances, travelling etc. (both in the car or e.g. walking through a area/path with many branches hanging over the path). Also compared to caps that could fall off easier, or maybe even get lost with regard to objective caps which are rarely tethered. (If walking at a spot where I’ll probably be setting up the scope more often, I do leave the SOC open sometimes, with the tethered ocular cap on and the solar shader extended to protect the lenses.)
But personally, there is also another reason why I like having the Kite SOC on my Swarovski ATX 65: it draws less attention… (I love the view through and handling of the scope, and the Kite SOC is neat enough, simple design, while more discrete/neutral. Don’t get me wrong: the ATX design is neat! Just drawing more attention of some people to the scope for being a Swarovski.)

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back