• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Kookaburra in Yorkshire (3 Viewers)

Just for anyone who is interested, this is the link to the report on this forum about a Kookaburra encounter in Yorkshire almost 20 years ago.

Whilst searching Google for it again, I also found a news report saying that it had been recaptured after a year of freedom;

Unless I've missed it I haven't seen whereabouts in Yorkshire we are talking here and its a big old county, but I know of at least one falconry centre that keeps kookaburra near Thirsk and I'm sure there will be plenty more.

Your Snowy Owl story - well done you, but apparently that was another escapee just like the original Kookaburra story you posted.

So for you to hear another Kookaburra in a similar location, well I just hope it's not escaped from the same 'collector'!

Or... let's hope it's not Wally from Redcar North Yorkshire :oops: - Kookaburra Adoption (Wally) | kirkleatham-owls
The two stories are unrelated and as the Snowy owl episode was in MALTA, while the Kookaburra (possibly), is in Yorkshire. I'm sure both birds would have been happy to change places, as the climates would have suited them both better that way.

Unless I've missed it I haven't seen whereabouts in Yorkshire we are talking here and its a big old county, but I know of at least one falconry centre that keeps kookaburra near Thirsk and I'm sure there will be plenty more.
I'm an hour or so south of Thirsk (in Doncaster), so I doubt the bird is from there and as I mentioned, I have the Yorkshire Wildlife Park just a few minutes from here, so that would be where I'd bet it's escaped from (if indeed it is a kookaburra, as I suspect).
I've not heard anything today but I've been at home all day and although I heard one at home yesterday, it was more apparent at my business about a mile away, which I haven't visited today.
I must remember to call the Wildlife Park tomorrow, as they may be hoping to hear from the public, if they have had one escape.

The two stories are unrelated and as the Snowy owl episode was in MALTA, while the Kookaburra (possibly), is in Yorkshire. I'm sure both birds would have been happy to change places, as the climates would have suited them both better that way.
I was talking about the 2 Kookaburra stories - yours and the original from 2005 (y)

Update:
Contacted the Yorkshire Wildlife Park and to my surprise, they don't have any birds at all, so certainly not the origin of the possible Kookaburra.

During a visit to my business premises today and checking for bird sounds at home, NO sign of the Kookaburra (?), just a pair of Doves and the normal array of UK birds. :(

Good afternoon to anyone who reads this message,
Can anyone tell me if there is any UK based bird that sounds like a kookaburra, because if not, then I had one hanging about my business premises yesterday afternoon and it either followed me to my home (about a mile away) or there's another one just visited me here this morning. As yet I've not been able to see it or either but I'm 70 years old and I've never heard a British bird sound like this before and the only bird I can think it sounds like is a kookaburra, although I have to say that I'm far from an expert on such matters.

Kind regards
They can be found in Suffolk so why not Yorkshire. There is a post on TikTok about them but it does not disclose where luckily. I would love to hear one to remind me of the trips to see the rellies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back