• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Leptotila wellsi (Lawrence, 1884) and others (1 Viewer)

Taphrospilus

Leptotila wellsi Lawrence, 1884 OD here
Saucerottia wellsi Boucard, 1893 OD here
Coereba wellsi Cory, 1889 OD here

The Eponym Dictionary of Birds claims:

John Grant Wells (DNF) was an ornithologist who was active in the West Indies, particularly Grenada where he lived (1886–1902). He sent all his specimens to to G. N. Lawrence of the USNM. He wrote 'A catalogue of the birds of Grenada, West Indies, with Observations thereon' (1886) and 'Birds of the island of Carriacou' (1902).

The old key:
John Grant Wells (fl. 1902) collector, resident on Grenada, West Indies 1886-1902 (syn. Amazilia tobaci, syn. Coereba flaveola aterrima, Leptotila

So life dates are still missing. Maybe this can be clarified here.

Last edited:
Ouups! :oops: That's a surprise!

I've had Mr Wells ad "his" three (Grenadian) birds in my 'pipe-line' for quite a while, simply to be posted whenever time allows ... thereby (as Martin opened up this topic and question) I assume today might be just the right time to post all of it, (or most) of what I've got have in my files (incl. links to the ODs, even if already shown, in #1) ...

Thus; below, some additional info (and possibly also confusing parts :unsure:, or/alt. even contradictory claim/s!), all found along the way, trying to trace this somewhat obscure guy, commemorated in ...

wellsi as in:
• Grenada Dove Leptotila wellsi LAWRENCE 1884 (here), as "Engyptila wellsi" [my blue bold]:
I have named it in compliment to James G. Wells, Esq., of Grenada, by whom it was obtained.
• the invalid* (Copper-rumped) Hummingbird "Saucerottia wells I" [sic] BOUCARD 1893 (here):
It was sent to me by Mr. Wells, from Grenada (West Indies), and I have the pleasure to dedicate it to him.
• and the invalid** Bananaquit "Certhiola wellsi" CORY 1889 (here, p.219):
... J. Grant Wells [... + Footnote:] To J. Grant Wells, of Grenada, West Indies.
... which ought to lead us to a certain; J. [James or/alt. John (?)] Grant Wells (18491904), local ornithologist (and collector), naturalised citizen on Grenada, in the West Indies/Caribbean (in all, alt. most of, his life).

Also note the following quote, by Austin H. Clark (in 1906) regarding the latter, invalid (Certhiola)"Cœreba wellsi" (here, pp.394-395)
Mr. Wells, who lived nearly all his life on the [Grenada] Island, never met with one ... [!]

And, note that his full name is given as "John Grant Wells", in the paper: Gerald H. Thayer’s ornithological work in St Vincent and the Grenadines, Lesser Antilles, by James W. Wiley (2018), here (on p.35), as well as in the HBW Alive Key (per 27th of April, 2020); "John Grant Wells (fl. 1902)", versus: the "James G. Wells", in/from the OD of "his" Dove ... !?

In Austin H. Clark's Birds of the southern Lesser Antilles, from October 1905 (here), a separate print of the Proceedings of the Boston Society of Natural History 32 (here, i.e. same text), where he´s mentioned, repeatedly, all through the Paper (use the Search Inside function), as either; "Wells", "Mr. Wells", or " J. G. Wells", as well as "John Grant Wells" (at that point Clark seems to bee all unaware of the recent death of Mr Wells).

Thus: Does anyone know the true First given name of Mr Wells?

Or is this simply a case of yet another James, nick-named "John" ... or? Surely it must be the same guy, in all three cases?

Note that he himself wrote his name as "John G. Wells". More info on the Dove itself, here (from Grenada National Archives), incl. his own hand-written, fairly elegant, signature.

Either way, from what I have seen, I assume the years are correct.

In 1905, in The Auk XXII, he is mentioned (in context of a Supposed Specimen [from way back in the 1880's] of the Yellow Warbler, from Grenada) as: "... the late Mr. John Grant Wells, ..." (here). Same exact same phrase was used in the Proceedings of the Biological Society of Washington XVIII (also from 1905): "... the late Mr. John Grant Wells, ..." (here).

It could be this guy (years sure does fit)!?
John Grant Wells
b. 17 November 1849, d. 1 February 1904
... but if it truly is? I cannot say. It could be. Or not?

However; enjoy!

And take it all, for what it's worth.

Björn

PS. A Pamphlet/list by Mr Wells himself (from 1886/87), here.

*a synonym of today's Copper-rumped Hummingbird Amazilia tobaci (ssp. ?)
**a synonym of today's Bananaquit ssp. Coereba flaveola aterrima (Lesson, 1830)

Last edited:
He lived Grenada Heritage at Risk – Grenada National Archives in St. George’s. Here v.32 (1904-1906) - Proceedings of the Boston Society of Natural History - Biodiversity Heritage Library we can read:
Six years later, John Grant Wells , a native of Grenada, published at St. George's a small pamphlet containing the names of the birds of Grenada, as identified by Lawrence.

Where is the onformation from that he lived only from 1886–1902 there?

From 'The Auk' of October, 1902, by kind permission of the author, the late Mr. John Grant Wells, Magistrate , & c ., of Carriacou.

Birds of the Island of Carriacou​

Last edited:
John Grant Wells (1849-1904)

Occupation (Colonial blue book)

1887 Grenada
Asst. Treasurer, Carriaco and Grenadines; and Police Magistrate, Northern District, Grenada

"Grenada, Civil Registration, 1866-1940", FamilySearch (https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:8C2Q-5G6Z :
Entry for John Grant Wells, 8 Feb 1904. Died 1 Feb 1904.

This document has dozens of references to him:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back