• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lesser Spotted Woodpecker (2 Viewers)

Original PaulE

United Kingdom
Went looking for one today and found one!! Was hard work mind and photography a nightmare but I did me best!!! Marsh Tit, Kingfisher, Siskins among the other highlights. Nice to get out after not getting out for a couple of weeks, more details on the blog at the link!!

559A0146.JPG

They've disappeared from huge swathes of the countryside - forty years ago I would never have believed news of them would be on the pager. I've managed to hear one this year and am really pleased with that.

John
Habitat loss? You think? Seems dead trees are chopped down and tidied up far too quickly these days!

Habitat loss? You think? Seems dead trees are chopped down and tidied up far too quickly these days!
Partly - and I agree with you, we've got to get away from (a) the obsession with tidiness and (b) the worry that something might drop on the commonest mammal in Britain, to wit humans. But it also seems to be increased competition or even nest predation with Great Spots in the frame but possibly also others.

John

a fantastic bird

despite living in deepest darkest calderdale on the edge of the pennines, the late 80's early 90's i could see them daily within walking distance from the house. i found a pair displaying and making a nest but sadly they moved on due to disturbance, as they were too close to the footpath.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back