• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lilac-Breasted Rollers Behaviour - South Africa May 23 (1 Viewer)

Helen O

Anything that flies
United Kingdom
FB Bird Life SA page

I watched three LBRs last week, in the linked video. The first bird was carrying food, then suddenly they would all begin this rocking backwards and forwards, and making rather loud calls. Suddenly two of them (I think one of them was the bird with food), flew down into the grass, no idea what happened). Shortly after, the bird with food flew away.

Is this some kind of courtship behaviour? I thought they displayed and mated in the air, and in addition, would this be the right time of year to display?

This was taken just last week in Kruger NP, South Africa.

Can't post the video on here, as file too large, so have just linked to the open FB Bird Life South Africa group where I have posted it (no need to be a member, it's open to the public).

Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back