• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Liz Bonnin's Wild Caribbean (2 Viewers)

Farnboro John

I was prepared to abandon this from the off; I've never been a fan of Liz Bonnin and I don't often like people being a focus of wildlife documentaries. I've just finished the series and I hope there's another to come - it was great. Not too doomy, some smashing people fighting for their wildlife and a good laugh from finding Ms Bonnin demonstrating clear twitcher instincts and reactions in pursuit of and seeing various animals for the first time. More please.

Recommended!

John

I quite like Liz Bonnin, so started off from a position of optimism. The show has met my expectations, and agree that there's definitely something uplifting about seeing so many people at ground level fighting for nature every day.

I've admired Ms Bonnin from when she first hit our screens as a presenter. Her mixture of Irish brogue and French Caribbean heritage is a delightful combination as well as her experience as a conserving zoologist. When she appeared on the series " Who do you think you are? " Apart from her aura, the programme is a hit for me.

I can't stand Liz Bonnin. Call me old-fashioned, but she epitomises the sort of documentary that puts a 'personality' at the centre of the footage. I guess she ticks a lot of 'equality' boxes - a seemingly more important priority these days, over-and-above expertise in the field.

She presented a recently-screened documentary about dinosaur fossils in the USA and her obvious ignorance of the subject left me screaming for Prof Ben Garrod... an equally personable and enthusiastic presenter, but one that actually knows what he's dealing with and how to impart that knowledge to the audience.

End of rant. 😆

Despite your comments, 'I would'
Professional competence is not in any way about that, nor should it be: meritocracy is the only way forward (frankly in all fields).

I think sometimes a personality presenter can be an asset, for both engagement and continuity reasons. Steve Backshall isn't for everybody (as made clear in a recent thread) but his effect on the young in Deadly 60 and its related programmes is very good: they judge by different criteria from us oldies. There's a movement in media circles to keep reaching out to new audiences and that is sort of good, but you mustn't lose the ones you've already captured in reaching for a few extra.

I've enjoyed this series but I agree with Pippin about the dinosaur one being a mistake for Ms Bonnin.

John

that puts a 'personality' at the centre of the footage
Well you were quite wrong about that. It wasn't about her it was all about the people she met who were trying to save the wild life in the areas she visited.

They were the stars and quite inspirational.

Well you were quite wrong about that. It wasn't about her it was all about the people she met who were trying to save the wild life in the areas she visited.

They were the stars and quite inspirational.

I didn't refer specifically to this documentary. My observation was a general criticism about certain types of documentaries. But while an opinion can be challenged, it can't be wrong... unless you're in the company of a Liberal Democrat. 😆

I can't stand Liz Bonnin. Call me old-fashioned, but she epitomises the sort of documentary that puts a 'personality' at the centre of the footage.
You lumped her in with this! Criticising the documentary because you thought it would be like that, without having seen it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back