• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Luscinia luscinia/megarhynchos or catharus guttatus? 2022-11-23, Lithuania. (2 Viewers)

Augustas

Lithuania
Nightingales leave Lithuania in august, so it would be extremely late observation. Hermit thrush would be new species for Lithuania. It would very interesting to hear your opinions on this bird. Sadly, that's all pictures I have.

Attachments

• _MG_7440.jpg
    _MG_7440.jpg
    341.6 KB · Views: 170
  • _MG_7441.jpg
    _MG_7441.jpg
    279.7 KB · Views: 169
Hi Augustas and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news.

Hermit thrush can safely be excluded - overall jizz and lack of dark loral stripe for starters. That would leave either Nightingale or Thrush nightingale - photo isn't clear enough to properly assess the primary spacing, but the dull and swarthy tones would favour L. luscinia.

I'm not convinced it isn't Thrush nightingale, but perhaps a more pertinent question, have you considered something from further east? What was the location?

The primary projection seems too short for either, as it would be for Rufous-tailed Robin?

Cheers

Hello Augustas,

welcome to birdforum from me, too!

Far from a confident answer, just to bump this bird up. My thoughts:

• I agree with Daniel, it might well be Thrush Nightingale, but like him, I get a strange feeling (like in the Yellow Wagtail-thread some time ago. Thanks Andrew and all others again).
  • tertials and other wing-fathers seems quite worn, is it possible that some delayed moult or growing in an 1cy bird (pale tips of the tertials seems good for a Thrush-like passerine???). That would also explain the small tail for a Nightingale
  • elongated, snouth head profile made me think of an possible Reed Warbler, but it isnt one imo (tail too small, narrow and more)
  • I tried to make this bird into a Garden Warber (or a Blackcap), but failed
  • Ignoring the head, the bird looked good for an European Robin and I searched the net for 1cy birds with a (well demarcated) pale/whitish throat but failed (juvenile Robins have darkish, clouded throat or some orangeyish hues come through). More birds with some warm hues on the tail normally have warmer=similar toned uppertail-coverts, too. Yes, not always, but its also no aberrantly coloured Robin imo, as bill seems wrong. And pp would also be too short for an European Robin

This is all not meant as an offence you know. And it might well a Trush Nightingale (a 1cy with some moult/wear-issue?), but as said I hope for others (yes with experience with asian birds and more) to look at this bird (again). Thanks!

And the strange feeling is still there. Help please!

Is that bill base as fledgling-like (swollen yet not yellow anymore) as i think? An escaped (given the time of year), puffed up fledgling without fully grown tail is that an option?

Just a thought....

Cheers,
G

Last edited:
Tremendous urban film clip gerben!,
wish I could answer your questions.
However during late Dec.’14 there was an overwintering Reed Warbler and two Common Whitethroats on an intersection “roundabout” with a deep drainage ditch in very urban North East London. 👍

Hopefully someone with in-hand (or moult strategy) experience can chip in, I'm wondering if the total state of the bird is the product of retarded moult (sorry unsure what the current term is, and no offence intended!) or a run in with some predator, and what we are seeing as the primaries are actually the primary coverts (they look shorter than the tertials)? May also explain the state of the tail? I wonder if @Augustas went back to try to relocate the bird...

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back