• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Madera Canyon--Santa Rita Lodge (1 Viewer)

Lanhua

I'm planing to go to Tucson for bird photography and would like to know if Santa Rita Lodge is available for everyone or only for people who stay there?
Thanks in advance

Mietek

What do you exactly mean by available? They do have brilliant feeders where you can indeed watch/take photos even if you don't stay there, and then they have a small property with the lodging, where outsiders probably aren't welcome, but it really doesn't matter because there is not much to see and endless public land around it. In any case, the owner (if it hasn't changed hands since 2019) is a really cool guy and friendly to everyone - he for exampled showed us an Elf Owl nest nearby even though we were not staying.

Jan,
exactly that I wanted to know.
Some lodges offer the feeders only to people who stay there and not to daily visitors.

Thanks

Mietek

Agree wholeheartedly with Jan. I will add I’ve had far more luck at the picnic area and just walking up and down the road than at the lodge. (Though it has been a few years since I visited.) Found my 1st Hepatic Tanager, and Blue-throated mountaingem, still called blue-throated hummingbird by most of us, by walking the road.

I think we saw a Hepatic Tanager at the lodge feeders and some more interesting stuff (for us) as well. In general we really liked southern Arizona for birding.

If you enjoy walking a trail, I would recommend walking the Madera Creek trail from Proctor Parking (just beyond the Gate House) up to Santa Rita Lodge. Madera Creek runs just behind the lodge. That might be a mile and half walk, it will seem longer cuz it's up hill. Between the Gate House and Santa Rita Lodge there's a total of 3 parking areas, if you wanna jump off closer to the lodge.

My time in the canyon has always been in April and May, I've had good luck walking that trail; came within feet of a Coatimundi one year.

If you enjoy hiking, I would recommend either the Super Trail or Old Baldy Trail up to Mt Wrightson (9453 feet). Old Baldly is steeper but shorter. They're both enjoyable, at least in the Spring. I've ran into a brown phased Black Bear on the Old Baldy Trail around the 7000 foot elevation. I don't know who scared who the most but he ran off as soon as he saw me; he was on the side of the mountain about 50 feet above the trail. If you hike either of these two trails, park at Roundup Parking; it's at the end of the Madera Canyon road.

I've bird and hiked a lot in that area, it's a wonderful place.

Good Luck..!!

Oh....the picnic tables at the front of the lodge are public as is the parking in front of the lodge but there's not much of it; thus the parking areas between the Gate House and the Lodge. The lodge has a small gift shop, at least it did in years past.

SanAngelo, thanks for your recommendation.
Actually my idea was to Southern Arizona, right now end of June, but the temperature above 100 °F is holding me back. Should I, despite this point, decide to go, for sure the weather there is not suitable for long hiking.

Mietek

Most of the key areas in Madera Canyon are public, and you don't need to be a guest to stay there. The only things that might be off limits is that, at least in former times, each cabin had it's own set of feeders in the back, which are good for bats and at that time Ringtail. So I suppose if you are interested in those types of critter, or in the rare event there is a rare hummer only using the back feeders, you might be out of luck.

Mid-late June is kind of a dead period, since it's too late for spring migration and the July-August Monsoons haven't started. If you can, you might consider waiting until then. That said, Pine Flycatcher, Berylline Hummingbird, and Rose-throated Becard are all still being reported, so there are certainly still rare birds around to make for a productive trip.

SanAngelo, thanks for your recommendation.
Actually my idea was to Southern Arizona, right now end of June, but the temperature above 100 °F is holding me back. Should I, despite this point, decide to go, for sure the weather there is not suitable for long hiking.

Mietek
Do remember the elevation effects. You might be able to bird early morning low and then drive higher before too long.
Niels

this was supposed to be my first trip to Arizona, so i'm not into such a rare bird as rose-throated becard. My goal is tanagers, trogon, jays and birds spending the summer in Arizona. I photographed the spring migration in April in Texas, and I don't think there is a big difference between Texas and Arizona.
Maybe you're right, maybe I'll wait until mid-July, but unfortunately it won't get any cooler.

My wife and I went to SE AZ in late July, early August about 8 years ago and camped much of the time. At the some of the higher elevations, we actually were cold at night, not properly prepared. The summer rainy season cools that area and is the best time to find sparrows singing and displaying. Greater numbers of other birds are available as most species have bred and raised families. We enjoyed our trip at that time of year, doing as Niels said - bird low early, move high later.

Walked the Old Baldy trail a good few years ago - delightful. Stayed a night in one of the lodges, went out hoping for night birds, but they didn't show. Did see a Skunk!!

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back