• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mallard or Black duck - Philadelphia PA 2 Nov 23 (1 Viewer)

mbaumser

Shot at John Heinz NWR outside Philly

at first I was leaning American Black male but now I'm not sure.

thoughts?

thanks in advance

marc

Attachments

• 90d056258.jpg
    90d056258.jpg
    157.4 KB · Views: 60
Orange bill with dark saddle, pale belly => can't be American Black Duck.

I don't think I can rule out female gadwall from this photo. (The amount of black on the bill can vary, and we don't have a great view of it here.) If you saw the upper side of the wing during flight, a gadwall would have an obvious white patch (speculum).

Female mallard seems like it should be our first guess, but... was there something about this bird that made you think it wasn't a mallard?

I think it's quite clearly not a Gadwall, but the reason why is hard to put my finger on.

Mostly the head looks perfect for Mallard-type: lacking the more even patterning and more gray tones of Gadwall. Head shape of gadwall often is more 'blocky' which is often still evident in flight.

Also The contrast between the belly and chest/sides is very smudged, while on Gadwall it is often very distinct, and the belly whiter (but yes lighting seems warm).

I think it's quite clearly not a Gadwall, but the reason why is hard to put my finger on.

Mostly the head looks perfect for Mallard-type: lacking the more even patterning and more gray tones of Gadwall. Head shape of gadwall often is more 'blocky' which is often still evident in flight.

Also The contrast between the belly and chest/sides is very smudged, while on Gadwall it is often very distinct, and the belly whiter (but yes lighting seems warm).
It was evening golden hour.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back