• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mexico, Jalisco, Vias verdes, Mid December (1 Viewer)

oleic

Hi

I appreciate any help with IDs.

1. Bell Vireo?3W1A8895.JPG

2. ??? Hawk

3W1A9293.JPG

3. ??? Oriole

3W1A8776.JPG

4. Waders???

3W1A9066.JPG

4. No idea...

3W1A9376.JPG

5. ??? Flycatcher

3W1A9948.JPG

Thanks

1. A warbler (bill-shape).
4a. Lesser yellowlegses (bill-length).
4b. Whatever the local grey-looking jay is.
5. A Myiarchus.

Last edited:
Lesser yellow legs, juvenile gray hawk (possibly), streak backed oriole (possibly), Nutting's flycatcher? (can we have more photos of the oriole and flycatcher?).

Edit: Please more photos of the warbler as well!

1. difficult to be certain on this view but probably ok for Bell's vireo. It's difficult to discern the bill shape but it's robust for any warbler and it has the curved culmen that this species can show. Bell's often shows an indistinct pale supercilium and loral stripe. We can't see this here but that might be due to angle and photo
2. agree immature grey hawk
3. streak-backed oriole
4. 2 Lesser yellow legs. Note needle bill of nearer bird
5. This looks like an icterid to me. Certainly no jay. I wonder if it's not a weird pic of a female great-tailed grackle or one of the cowbirds. (Perhaps the former.) The other thing I wondered about was a catbird, but I don't think it's this.
6. Plausibly Nutting's fly: we can see the undertail pattern. It's bleached, but it's not clear that the tip is darker (i.e. unlikely to be Ash-throated)

2 Lesser yellow legs. Note needle bill of nearer bird
That's photo-artefact. The front bird appears to have a needle bill only because its width is 'eaten into' by the bright white background. The rear bird (with a darker background) doesn't have that, and it would be pretty odd indeed if two individuals of the same species (really) differed so much in bill thickness.
I wonder if it's not a weird pic of a female great-tailed grackle or one of the cowbirds
I thought exactly the same but I don't think it can be great-tailed grackle: iris wouldn't be reddy-brown (even in juvenile?) and tail looks entirely wrong. I wondered about melodious blackbird but it's out of range and this bird just isn't black. If you allow for what the odd angle might do to the bill-shape, I think Mexican jay is pretty plausible, including iris colour and slightly-graduated tail.

More photos, please, if poss!

Last edited:
That's photo-artefact.
Disagree. There is some effect but the front bird's bill is still thinner. I'm struck by how much this species (lesser)'s bill does vary in width. For example, I had to double-check that the bird behind wasn't greater. I often see ones on this forum which recall marsh sand.
I thought exactly the same but I don't think it can be great-tailed grackle: iris wouldn't be reddy-brown (even in juvenile?)
It is actually pinky-browny-orangy. I think if we take exposure into account it "works" for that species. i really can't make this into any jay.

and tail looks entirely wrong.
I'm not convinced it is. The tail's largely concealed by the branch and it's at an odd angle. Even so, we can see the somewhat disheveled look I associate with grackle tails.

Are we quite sure that the yellowlegs aren't Greater Yellowlegs? Both birds show a pale base to the bill, which Lesser Yellowlegs doesn't - their bills are evenly dark all the way to the base. The transition between the pale base and the darker tip is at the same point on the bill in both birds, and it's the exact spot where the change in colour can be seen on much clearer photos, so it's unlikely to be a photo artefact. The bills on both birds are rather short, yes, but they are slightly longer than the length of the head, and I think just in range for Greater - maybe both are immature birds with the bills not yet fully developed? Compare this photo of a juvenile Greater from Costa Rica - also taken in December - to see what I'm getting at:

umm err are we sure these are the same birds as before, and if they why didn't we post those images then?
I’m confused on what you mean but the bird is perching on the same branch, is the same colouration- the only difference is the angle.

Small thing - At last a vireo-type bill-tip (just) in evidence - and (perhaps) suggestion of pale greater-covert-tips. I've no idea.

Are we quite sure that the yellowlegs aren't Greater Yellowlegs
You've now got me hesitating... But note that lesser yellowlegs can show a pale bill-base, eg...

Grey thing - Mexican jay, eg cop all the blue bits (which you see hints of in the first pic of it).

are we sure these are the same birds as before, and if they why didn't we post those images then?
Yes, clearly they are the same (eg see Bewick's comment above). Asking why the OP didn't post these at the outset? - a question I ask myself about once a day on this forum, but never (OK, rarely) do I think it appropriate to ask a poster why they didn't - me being too polite for that, obviously ;)

Are we quite sure that the yellowlegs aren't Greater Yellowlegs? Both birds show a pale base to the bill, which Lesser Yellowlegs doesn't - their bills are evenly dark all the way to the base. The transition between the pale base and the darker tip is at the same point on the bill in both birds, and it's the exact spot where the change in colour can be seen on much clearer photos, so it's unlikely to be a photo artefact. The bills on both birds are rather short, yes, but they are slightly longer than the length of the head, and I think just in range for Greater - maybe both are immature birds with the bills not yet fully developed? Compare this photo of a juvenile Greater from Costa Rica - also taken in December - to see what I'm getting at:

I also thought Greater Yellowlegs right away, but I see why people are going for Lesser too. I'm still of the opinion that they look more like Greater.

Is Dusky-capped an option for the Myiarchus? No rufous under tail, brighter yellow underparts, etc?

I’m confused on what you mean but the bird is perching on the same branch, is the same colouration- the only difference is the angle.
To me it looks quite different to the earlier photo. Agree it's the same setting but that doesn't necessarily mean it's the same bird. Just to make point, we were in disagreement as to whether the first image was an icterid. The second one very obviously is

Users who are viewing this thread

Back