• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Michigan, Hawk ID confirmation, Please (1 Viewer)

Hainan on the fly

Trying to make sure this is Cooper's Hawk over sharp-shinned. Big head and bill, sloping forehead and bulky feet all point me there. Also the more rounded off tail. Although it is a little difficult to see in these pictures, I'm seeing some contrast in the nape and neck. Feel like I'm getting a little better at separating these and starting to make notes for separation criteria (with the help of kind folks on the platform). Please offer advice if there is something I am missing.

Thanks,

Brian

Attachments

• Cooper's hawk b.jpg
    Cooper's hawk b.jpg
    354.4 KB · Views: 30
  • Cooper's hawk c.jpg
    Cooper's hawk c.jpg
    311.6 KB · Views: 29
  • Cooper's hawk d.jpg
    Cooper's hawk d.jpg
    305.1 KB · Views: 27
  • Cooper's hawk.jpg
    Cooper's hawk.jpg
    333.2 KB · Views: 29
It is neither – it is a buteo, not an accipiter. Specifically, an adult Broad-winged Hawk. The tail would project much further past the wings in an accipiter, among other things.

It is neither – it is a buteo, not an accipiter. Specifically, an adult Broad-winged Hawk. The tail would project much further past the wings in an accipiter, among other things.
Ugh.... Happy to see a new hawk but humbled in all I have to learn. I really appreciate your insight! I can totally see what you mean now that you've mentioned it. I hope to someday be able to notice on my own.

... being otherwise most like adult red-shouldered hawk which also has thick black tail-bars but much narrower white ones - and differs also in having contrastingly-barred secondaries.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back