• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mkomazi NP, Tanzania - Sunbird ID + more (1 Viewer)

HaydenB

Canada
Hi all,

I have a couple mystery sunbirds here, as well as one other bird that has me stumped (all from the 15th of August).

1. This one was at the Zange Gate of the park (west side), at low elevation in dry brushy habitat.
Slight supercilium, maybe a Beautiful Sunbird?

IMG_1743.JPGIMG_1744.JPG

2. Not sure if it will be possible to differentiate between Hunter's or Scarlet-chested from this picture, but worth a try. This one was at the same spot as number 1. I believe Hunter's are more likely found in this habitat, and the picture shows what looks like a single malar stripe as opposed to the full throat, but hard to say.

IMG_1774.JPG

3. This one was in the same sort of habitat/elevation as the first two:

IMG_2078.JPGIMG_2079.JPGIMG_2080.JPG

4. This last one has confused me a little. The tail also appears to have a bit of a dark blue/violet iridescence to it. It too was in the same lowland grassland/brush habitat.

IMG_2083.JPG IMG_2084.JPG

Thank you for any help,

Hayden

Hi again, Hayden

Female and immature sunbirds are difficult. If you have any information about males that you saw nearby or with these birds, it would be helpful if you could post this.

Anyway:

4. Is Eastern Violet-backed Sunbird, female (violet tail, no violet back)
2. I agree with you that this is Hunter's, but I'm not sure that all will definitely agree. I adjusted your photo to get as much detail as possible, but even so
3. My guess would be that this is female Mariqua/Marico. The other possibilty that I can see is female Bronze. However, neither is supposed to be in the park you specified (although they are nearby). If someone has a better idea, please post.
1. I have a feeling that this is a juvenile male because colours seem to have started breaking through - see attached photo; but I can't see quite what it could be. Other opinions welcome (essential).

BF Hunter's SB.jpgBF SB 230911.jpg

The only male sunbirds I saw in the area were Eastern Violet-backed, and Amethyst (besides the tentative Hunter's), although someone I was with said she saw a Beautiful Sunbird.

Thanks for your response, much appreciated

Users who are viewing this thread

Back