• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Monitor Lizard ID - Cat Tien, Vietnam (2 Viewers)

beechwood

This photo was taken in Cat Tien NP on 25th January 2024. I am wondering if it is possible to tell if it is an Asian Water Monitor (Varanus salvator) or a Clouded Monitor (Varanus nebulosus). It is very high up in a tree on the banks of the river and looks very comfortable there. I understand the Clouded Monitor is an excellent tree climber but quite rare whilst the Asian Water Monitor is much more abundant but, as I understand it, only climbs trees for refuge.

Thanks for any assistance.

Attachments

• DSCN2104a.JPG
    DSCN2104a.JPG
    654.2 KB · Views: 26

Thanks for the pictures. It seems from these posts that the Asian Water Monitor is quite happy high in trees hough the
Clouded Monitor photo is a good match, particularly around the mouth. I am going to say it is most likely an Asian Water Monitor, as they are far more common, there are no features that are definite for Clouded, and being 10m up a tree seems an OK location for a Water Monitor.

Thanks Andy. Given your suggestion I have looked closely at photos of each type of monitor and it seems to me that the Asian Water Monitor has an oval nostril whilst that of the Clouded Monitor seems slightly pointed toward the front. Is that the difference that I should be looking for?

I have found a photo that shows the nostril on my observation. Sadly it doesn't seem to fit either of them.

Attachments

• DSCN2094a.JPG
    DSCN2094a.JPG
    289.6 KB · Views: 7
I had to research this after finding an odd-looking monitor in a hole at the top of a tree in Khao Pra Bang Kharm Wildlife Sanctuary last year. The nostril on Asian Water Monitor is set much further forward, close to the front of the head. Clouded has an elongated nostril about equidistant between the eye and front. Yours looks good for nebulosus to me. Mine was salvator :(

Nice one!

asian_water_monitor_treetop_7mar23_1080s_7298.jpg

I had to research this after finding an odd-looking monitor in a hole at the top of a tree in Khao Pra Bang Kharm Wildlife Sanctuary last year. The nostril on Asian Water Monitor is set much further forward, close to the front of the head. Clouded has an elongated nostril about equidistant between the eye and front. Yours looks good for nebulosus to me. Mine was salvator :(

Nice one!
Here is a Clouded that I found in Malaysia.

It was in a hole when we found it and had to get him out for ID, 25 years ago

Attachments

• Clouded_Monitor_Penanti_060408_IMG_4354.jpg
    Clouded_Monitor_Penanti_060408_IMG_4354.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 12
  • Clouded_Monitor_Penanti_060408_IMG_4347.jpg
    Clouded_Monitor_Penanti_060408_IMG_4347.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back