• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mottled Swift?, Kenya (1 Viewer)

opisska

rabid twitcher
Czech Republic
It has been suggested to me that this is a Mottled Swift. In the absence of any scale, I find myself unable to judge the size of the bird - to me it could be Mottled or some of the assortment of the smaller Apus swifts that can occur in Kenya.

From a road between Samburu and Meru, January 2022.

original.jpegoriginal2.jpeg

Hi Jan.

I left it a day to see if someone else would reply.

Anyway, lightening your photos shows a mottled breast and white throat. So this should exclude quite a few swifts. I would have thought that the contrasty wings would also be a relvant ID feature. Birds of East Africa specifically mentions wings which are impressively long (even for a swift, presumably) which I would think is a good description of your bird. The tail seems to be moulting, so maybe not helpful.

Maybe these lightened photos will encourage someone else to offer an opinion

BF Swift 01.jpgBF Swift 02.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back