• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mouse-colored Tyrannulet? in mesothermic valley Santa Cruz/ bolivia in October (1 Viewer)

bubo_bubo

Hi,
these photos of a tynariid were shot in a mesothermic valley in the province of Santa Cruz/ Bolivia in October 2000. I was thinking of Mouse-colored Tyrannulet due to the brownish appearance, the wingbars, the color of the mandible. Or maybe sothern Scrub-Flycatcher? or a Elaenia?
What does the experts say? Thanks for ID.
Cheers
Johannes

Attachments

• Mouse-colored Tyrannulet_79909.jpg
    Mouse-colored Tyrannulet_79909.jpg
    556.7 KB · Views: 26
  • Mouse-colored Tyrannulet_79908.jpg
    Mouse-colored Tyrannulet_79908.jpg
    494.2 KB · Views: 26
I’m not sure what is meant by a mesothermic valley. Mesotherm has two definitions I was aware of and another I found by googling and none of them tell me anything about the habitat. The dept of Santa Cruz is enormous and has a lot of habitat diversity. Usually it’s more helpful to give a precise location and/or elevation and habitat.

Ok, yes. Sorry. The images were shot on 14th of Oct 2000 in Tambo, Santa Cruz province - near Comarata, Bolivia. No, I am not 100% sure, but the time in between the images were short. any other ideas of the ID?

Looking through the field guide, I think Mouse-colored looks right for image 1. I have difficulty seeing the second image being same bird or species. I doubt there is enough to be sure, but check e.g., Southern Scrub Flycatcher.

By the way, MCTY have been split and in Bolivia it is now Southern Mouse-colored Tyrannulet
Niels

[I remain on the fence. I can't see the pale bill base you need for Mouse-coloured, and there are various other candidates. I suspect they are both the same bird, or at least the same species but once again the image quality makes it impossible to be sure.]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back