• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Musselburgh (2 Viewers)

I stopped off once here on the way to Aberlady Bay and thought it looked like an amazing site. Don't have a car any more so it's not as easy to get there, but it's on my list for this year.
I get the train from Waverley to Wallyford, with it being about a half hour walk (at my pace) to the 'old' scrapes from there. The 124 bus goes by there too (the bus I get to Aberlady) Took me ages to start using public transport to get there, but its second nature now.

Is the bus quite frequent? I'd quite fancy another trip back to Aberlady too - I haven't been since I gave up my car many years ago.
the 124 is half- hourly, but I think there are others that go to or near Wallyford, but the 124 is the one I use and know best. I'll say this for the Embra bus service, its a damned sight better than what we have in the West.

There were (pre-Covid, at least) a number of buses which pretty much went right through Musselburgh along the 'high street' and if you got off just before the Esk it was a fairly short walk along the side of river and over the last bridge to the scrapes etc. A much shorter walk required meaning more available time for the 'important bits'. I used to use the TravelineScotland app to find the 'next bus' from around Waverley Station to Musselburgh and the same when heading back. Having not done the trip since 2019, I'm not sure how much might have changed but I would think that there will be still be regular buses through the 'centre' of Musselburgh.

Musselburgh is well served by buses. From Edinburgh the most direct services are
A day ticket is £5.00 for the city zone.

You can get off in the town centre and walk down the Esk to the river mouth and follow the path round the sea wall. The new reserve is beside the river and the old scrapes reserve is beside the boating pond. Yesterday I missed the snow buntings.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back