• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

mystery whistle (1 Viewer)

opticoholic

Can anyone help identify the bird singing with a melodic whistle in the following poor recording? You will hear the whistle at about 3 seconds into the recording, then later after the rooster crows, near the end it gives more of a 2 part song with 1 or 2 introductory notes. Try to ignore the noise in the recording, the Common Nighthawk, Dark-eyed Junco, chickadees, rooster crowing, etc. I'm just interested in the whistle. The pitch and character is somewhat similar to a Common Poorwill, but I don't think that is what it is. I hope it isn't some domestic fowl or something.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/38295196/mystery_whistle.mp3

More information about the recording:

• Date: 6/19/2015
  • Time: ~5:10 am, well before sunrise
  • Tulare County, California, east slope of sierras (Sherman Pass Road near Kennedy Meadows Campground)
  • elevation ~6160 feet
  • Dry habitat, some juniper & pine trees
  • Other species in the area: domestic rooster, Western Bluebird, Common Nighthawk, Mountain Chickadee, Western Tanager, Rock Wren, etc.

Thanks in advance.
Dave

Last edited:
The call in question is a Northern Bobwhite's call. I don't think that the species is native to California.

Agree, definitely a Bobwhite. Possibly escaped from a captive breeding? A quick check didn't show anything for California, but they have been introduced into southern Oregon, so either a spill-over from there or California Game Department has attempted some introduction?

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back