• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Myzomela wakoloensis elisabethae van Oort, 1911 (1 Viewer)

Taphrospilus

Myzomela wakoloensis elisabethae van Oort, 1911 OD here
I have the honour to name this bird after Mrs. Elisabeth Baroness van Dedem.

Just adding that as I first thought different claims as Coenraad Willem van Dedem isn't mentioned in the key.In fact both deal with the same Elisabeth, Baroness van Dedem

The Eponym Dictionary of Birds claims:
Wakolo Myzomela ssp. Myzomela wakoloensis elisabethae van Oort, 1911
Elisabeth, Baroness van Dedem (DNF), was daughter of Baron Coenraad Willem van Dedem, a general in the Dutch army, and sister of Baron Frederik Karel van Dedem (1873– 1959). She married (1871) William Edward Hartpole Lecky (1938–1903), an Irish historian.
The Key to Scientific Names
Catharina Elisabeth Boldewina Lecky Baroness van Dedem (1842-1912) sister of Dutch naturalist Frederik Karel Baron van Dedem, lady-in-waiting to Queen Sophia of The Netherlands, and wife of Irish essayist William Edward Hartpole Lecky (subsp. Myzomela wakoloensis).

So take above as informational only and what's worth. More on her in Wikipedia. The only thing to question if she was still a Baroness after marriage with William Edward Hartpole Lecky in 1871? Or has she lost her title if she married a civil person?

Last edited:
When Lecky was 13 after his Father's death, his stepmother married an Earl. I am sure there was some magical ceremony she could have done raising Lecky above a mere civil personage.

I suspect that the wrong Elisabeth might be referred to here...

If we are to look up Van Oort (1911: 59 v.34 (1911-1912) - Notes from the Leyden Museum. - Biodiversity Heritage Library), we read in the introductory line: "The new birds, of which the descriptions follow here, have been collected by Mr. F. K. Baron van Dedem, who, in company with his wife, made a trip through our East-Indian possessions." [bold face mine]
In the etymological statement adjoined to Myzomela elisabethae further on in the text, Van Oort (1911: 63) states "I have the honour to name this bird after Mrs. Elisabeth Baroness van Dedem."

These two statements combined make me consider Elisabeth baroness van Dedem (née Kleian) as the more likely dedicatee.

(Also, if it indeed were Catharina Elisabeth Boldewina Lecky Baroness van Dedem that the eponym honours, I would think Van Oort would mention her as "Elisabeth Lecky" in 1911.)

For genealogical information, see: Elisabeth Kleian (1878-1965) » West-Europese adel » Genealogie Online

Yes quite right Catharina Elisabeth Boldewina Lecky Baroness van Dedem was not sister to Frederik Karel Baron van Dedem either but an aunt. Daughter to Baron Willem Karel Jan van Dedem and sister to Baron Willem Karel van Dedem 1839–1899 father of Frederik Karel Baron van Dedem.

So Elisabeth Klein (1878-1965)

Birth 22 September 1878 Zutphen, Gelderland, Netherlands

Death 12 Jul 1965 Laag Zuthem, Overijsel, Netherlands

Attachments

• record-image_ (12).jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back