• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nest box full of chics! Help. What are they and what can I do to be helpful (1 Viewer)

Welcome to Birdforum.

They could well be blue tits. If you can get a capture of the parent bird, it would help.

Hi, welcome to the forum on behalf of the staff and moderators. I think you will find us a friendly and helpful group. Are you using a nest camera? If not try and stay away from the nest as the parents can get easily scared off.

Hi Janey and a warm welcome from me too. The best way to help is to leave some feed for the adults, so they can start their day with a feed, enabling them to concentrate on foraging for the correct food for the nestlings. So this would be seeds, peanuts and fatballs and most important would be mealworms. Also they'd appreciate a dish of water.

But don't place the feeder too close to where the nest is, as other birds will be attracted to it too, putting more stress on the adults trying to protect the nest from perceived threats.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I hope to hear about all the birds you see when out and about.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back