• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nest boxes for Grey Wagtails [London, UK] (1 Viewer)

katastrofa

Supporter
Norway
Hi,

I live in a managed development in London very near to Thames River (no river view from my window, though). The development owns an old decrepit river jetty, which it was ordered to partially dismantle by the PLA. However, there are Grey Wagtails nesting somewhere in the jetty structure (or the river embankment) every year.

I started bugging the management company about the need to protect the wagtails from harm, and they asked for advice on how to do it. We want to install nesting boxes the wagtails on the concrete structure left in place of the jetty, hanging over the river (but not under any overhang - the water level is too high for that). I have some questions:

1. Is this a good nest box for Grey Wagtails? https://www.nhbs.com/vivara-pro-woodstone-grey-wagtail-and-dipper-nest-box
2. We can place more than one nest box. How far apart should they be to avoid territorial conflicts?
3. How should we orient the boxes? Towards the river, or downstream? We are on the North bank of the Thames, and the prevailing wind along the river blows towards the East.
4. Can we do anything else to make sure the wagtails keep nesting in the area after the jetty is gone?

Here is the photo of the structure: http://www.ftwharf.com/wp-content/u...gssy6K7hGhj1K41_LwvYZqivZY4t-Thc3fNlYZrb1BeEg

I will be very grateful for any advice.

Hi K

According to the Birds of the World info (previously HBWAlive), this is the information they have on nesting

Nest, built by both sexes, a typical platform and cup of coarser material, lining of finer grasses, root fibres and usually horse hair, placed on rock ledge or in crevice in riverbank, or often on ledge in wall, under bridge or in drainpipe.

So that box you linked to does look suitable.

Are their current nests in crevices on on ledges though?

I guess (as it is the case with all other species I've read about) the entrance shouldn't face the midday/afternoon sun, but I've really no experience of their breeding requirements.

The boxes look ideal and one or two installed around the " jetty " remains / bank structure seems adequate - the Wagtails will establish their territorial boundaries along the way, if and when. Hopefully the overhaul brief will include the nestboxes at not too much cost. As you suggest, away from the prevailing winds and somewhere sheltered above the Spring Tides mean level.

Good luck.

Last edited:
Hi again K... just read a bit more...

Apparently:

BotW said:
highly territorial, linear territory 200–1000 m or more

Hope that helps.

I think you could try more along the length of the frontage, they wont all be used......one pair will be a positive result. Vary the entrance positions ( right angled along the frontage, away from the prevailing wind should be fine ). As sheltered as will allow - away from natural predators and humans.
Cheers

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back