• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New Pentax PF-85EDA (2 Viewers)

Never understood why Pentax doesn't mention the use of the XW5 with their scopes - the resulting mags are usable for birding and would be advertising more their products...
Should be produced at the same producers of the Zeiss Gavia in Japan, but with much better price in Europe...
Will be interesting to know if the Baader zoom will reach focus on it. Unfortunately the APM SuperZoom should not reach focus - would compete directly with the Gavia...
Pentax could innovate more, accepting 2" eps, since produce now 2" eps XW with 85º AFOV that would be great to use on this scope...

New scope announced from Ricoh, as usual taking astro eyepieces.

I was wondering when I would see Pentax’s PF80-ED scope version being discounted due to their Newest 85mm just being announced. I did not have to wait long … Dvor.com(OpticsPlanet) now has the angled body on sale for $563. I have not handled one for many years, I wonder if they are still sourced from Japan ? Or maybe now from the Philippines ? , great price for a very competent ED scope that takes 1.25” Astro eye pieces.

Interesting, I wonder if Baader Morpheus can reach focus?
What is Pentax reputation for making consistently good optics?

Peter

Pentax could innovate more, accepting 2" eps, since produce now 2" eps XW with 85º AFOV that would be great to use on this scope...
Then the scope would require a larger prism and a larger "window" in the scope body to avoid vignetting.
The two 2" XW eyepieces with 85° AFoV and 16,5 and 23 mm focal lengths would then give magnifications of 29x and 21x respectively.
The 1,25" 70° Pentax XW in 20 mm might be just free of vignetting at 24x magnification in the new scope.

John

Last edited:
John,

My suggestion was based on my experience with PF100: - the prism doesn't vignette with 27mm FOV eps, has a inside prism position enough to receive 2" eps and reach focus - at least the XW 16.5 wouldn't vignette - who wouldn't enjoy a 29x 85º view?
1.25" eps could continue to be used with a simple piece as adaptor 2" to 1.25".
Pentax please produce a updated version of the PF100 that can receive 2" eps... (y)
By the way, improve robustness of the prisms since both samples I have show problems with prisms collimation, being that one is for the second time...
Swaro commercial success of the X95/X115 (don't know if the Kowa 99 also are...), show that there is a market for high quality scopes with large aperture!
Pentax could even innovate and release a PF120! I would purchase one if would receive 2" eps...;)
A PF120 would make success within astro users!

New scope announced from Ricoh, as usual taking astro eyepieces.

I love my PF80ED straight through model. It must be close to 20 years old. I mainly use it with a 20 mm XW for observing waders etc but also use other 1.25" eyepieces down to about 7 mm if the air is steady. I wonder if the more modern PF80ED's with lanthanum glass have slightly better colour correction? Not that my model is not very good. I am tempted by the 85 angled version but might wait to see reviews. I have the field flattener that was once available that converts my 80 into an f-12 1000 mm telephoto. Quite useful for bird photos etc

Then the scope would require a larger prism and a larger "window" in the scope body to avoid vignetting.
The two 2" XW eyepieces with 85° AFoV and 16,5 and 23 mm focal lengths would then give magnifications of 29x and 21x respectively.
The 1,25" 70° Pentax XW in 20 mm might be just free of vignetting at 24x magnification in the new scope.

John
The 20 mm XW is great in my PF80ED. Jaw droppingly good in fact. Especially for folks who are using zooms. They sometimes ask why is this view so good. I have the Pentax zoom but think it is a bit soft as most zooms are. The sharpest zoom across most of its range I have seen through was on a Leica 82.

I was wondering when I would see Pentax’s PF80-ED scope version being discounted due to their Newest 85mm just being announced. I did not have to wait long … Dvor.com(OpticsPlanet) now has the angled body on sale for $563. I have not handled one for many years, I wonder if they are still sourced from Japan ? Or maybe now from the Philippines ? , great price for a very competent ED scope that takes 1.25” Astro eye pieces.
That is a bargain for less than half the price of the PF85ED. The PF80A with a XW20 eyepiece is a great combination. For all we know the proven PF80EDA might be 95% as good or perhaps even better than the new 85 mm version. Sometimes new products have issues not discovered until lots of users give feedback.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back