• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Night call near Paris (1 Viewer)

Stéphane 77

Three nights in a row I heard this strange call in our small town east of Paris, France.
I can't identify this species, it seems so different from usual French night birds.
The best species I can imagine is Little Owl but it does not really fit.
It could be an escaped cage bird, I already had Crimson Rosella and Rosy-faced Lovebird in my garden in the last years.
Any idea ?

Attachments

• night call - 8 Sep 2023.mp3
    30.4 KB
Hello Stéphane,

main reason for my comment is to bump your interesting recording up.

And to ask for a longer recording with some time before and after the call, please? It often places a single call in the context, which helps (please see other threads here). Thanks!

Like you, I am puzzled but my thoughts:
  • the quality of a thin whisteling (like a throaty bird without enough breath) gives this bird a vague reminiscent of a Blackbird
  • there are examples here on BF with aberrant Blackbirds, they can imitate artifical sounds. And I am surely biased by this. And this become a favourite for me. So cute!
  • But a single, constant call without variation or added longer phrases seems unusual/strange for a Blackbird imo.
  • I cant exclude a human whisteling (no offence you know, but this has to be always considerd)

Sorry for the late answer Alexander.
I just kept 1 or 2 seconds before and after each recording.
They were all recorded at night. I often have magpies or robins calling at 2 or 4 in the morning but I never had blackbirds.
I agree human whistling can't be completely excluded but I recorded the same sounds a few kms apart which would fit with a flying bird rather than a human, IMHO.
Unfortunately I didn't have this call in the following nights (but ortolan bunting, tawny pipit and little bittern amongst others) so this will remain a mystery call.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back