• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon 8x32 SE vs Premier LX 8x42 (1 Viewer)

The Kingfisher

Hello!

I have the Nikon 8x32 SE - a very nice bino and almost a perfect tool for me. I love it! BUT - there are a few things that could be a little bit better though:

1. Waterproofing would be great
2. The focusing is sometimes rather stiff
3. It doesn´t hang straight on the chest when not in use
4. Metal on the surface is not a nice thing cold days

I can live with those things, but anyway..I´m curious to hear from you what you have to say about Nikon Premier LX 8x42!?

Is it better or worse than the 8x32 SE when it comes to optics? That´s of course the "key-question" for me. Would I keep my 8x32 SE or maybe change to the Premier 8x42!?

Regards Jonas

I might catch some flack for this but I tend to prefer the optical experience of the original 8x42 HG at times over the 8x32 SE. I own both and find both of them to be more than I could ever ask for in a high end binocular. The SEs definitely have the HGs beat in several categories....resolution, depth of field (3D effect), color representation, size and weight. However, I still find the 8x42 HGs to have that "step into the image" feel whenever I put them up to my eyes. I believe this is a direct result of the eyepiece design. The actual diameter of the ocular lens coupled with the thin diameter of the ring around the eyepiece makes them sit very well across the bridge of my nose and really "open up" the image once the bins are placed in front of you. I have yet to really find another bin that does this though the 8x32 configuration of the HG and the Nikon Sporter 8x36 are close. Both of these models have similar eyepiece deisgns. In addition though I have found my 8x42s to have a slight yellow color cast compared to the SEs I do believe they provide a brighter overall image especially in low light conditions. Contrast, in my opinion, is really up for debate. I cannot say that either of the two units of these two bins that I own is really better in that regard than the other. Birds are easily separated from their backgrounds with either bin.

Now, please take my comments with a grain of salt. A few months ago I posted about a comparison between the 8x32 HG and the 8x32 SE. A well respected optics expert from this forum commented that after putting aside differences in depth of field and field of view the differences in the overal optical quality between the 8x32 HG, 8x42 HG, 8x32 SE and 8x30 E2 was negligible at best. After using both the 8x32 SE and 8x42 HG for an extended period of time I would tend to agree with this statement. We are really splitting hairs at the high end of the spectrum in terms of image quality when we choose one of these models over the other. Some folks might find a unit or two of the roof models with unacceptable levels of CA or a porro unit that fogs up internally under certain conditions. But, all in all I think each of these units provides an exceptional viewing experience under almost all conditions and I would be hard pressed to really say that one is significantly "better" than the other in terms of optical quality. Handling is another issue though since there is a big difference in both size and weight between the individual units...especially the original 8x42 HG. Still, I use a neoprene neckstrap with mine and really do not notice the additional weight except on trully extended birding excursions where I do not have the opportunity to put the binocular down periodically. And, ofcourse, if you are considering the newer version of the HG, the LXL, then the weight issue would be somewhat up for debate as it is significantly lighter than the original version.

Sorry for rambling but I have been waiting for this issue to come up again. Both are exceptional binoculars and would not hesitate to use either as my primary bin.

Last edited:
FrankD said:
I might catch some flack for this but

there are some who would burn you at the stake.

I have to say that the weight reduction between the two generations HG/HGL or LX/LXL (in the states) means that I'd be very happy birding with the new x42 Nikon. I was really impressed when I looked through one at an optics day it gives a very fine image.

I think your comment on hair splitting is so true.

I think the two binoculars are on par, optically: both are excellent for all of the reasons outlined above. The LX, however, is mechanically superior. For example, it has an outstanding focuser that moves with a firm, fluid smoothness and is, arguably, the best on the market. Add to that the advantages of water proofing, a locking diopter ring, and twist up eyecups (as opposed to the SE's fold-down rubber cups). The main disadvantages of the LX are its weight and a touch more CA than its SE sibling. On the balance, however, the LX is a world class binocular, worthy of serious consideration.

8x42 lx to 8x32 se
My lx seems to have a little dark red/ brown cast that makes them appear less bright in good light, with not completely true color. SE colors are more pronounced, bright colors really jump out and are incredible. Lx is sharper to my eye and overall easier for me to use because of eye positioning, focus, hanging nice, and maybe the weight steadies them a bit.

I agree and really hate how my se's hang, and the diopiter does seem to accidenty get changed alot also.

The Kingfisher said:
Hello!

I have the Nikon 8x32 SE - a very nice bino and almost a perfect tool for me. I love it! BUT - there are a few things that could be a little bit better though:

1. Waterproofing would be great
2. The focusing is sometimes rather stiff
3. It doesn´t hang straight on the chest when not in use
4. Metal on the surface is not a nice thing cold days

I can live with those things, but anyway..I´m curious to hear from you what you have to say about Nikon Premier LX 8x42!?

Is it better or worse than the 8x32 SE when it comes to optics? That´s of course the "key-question" for me. Would I keep my 8x32 SE or maybe change to the Premier 8x42!?

Regards Jonas
Jonas,

Nikon LX 8X42 vs. Nikon SE 8X32
The views are similar and tempting to compare as equal, which they are not. The LX is very nice but not as nice as the SE, which is, for many, more challenging to use effectively. I’ve compared the two at length.

Optically
The LX is brighter than the SE.
The LX exit pupil is larger and, for many, “easier” to use.
The LX has an immediate walk-in view. The SE works just as well…after a lot of practice!

The SE has less distortion.
The SE has slightly better contrast (Nikon gets this right a lot).
The SE colors are as good as it gets.
The SE is sharper. Yes, it’s sharper. There are things I can discern with the SE that the LX’s I’ve compared it to cannot. The one anticipated exception is when the light fades the LX shows more details.
The killer is the sublimely natural 3D view offered by the SE 8X32. It is truly phenomenal and, IMO, worth all the limitations inherent in the porro design.

My SE 8X32 is slightly more pleasing to me than my Ultravid 7X42 and the Ultravid 7X42 beat the two Nikon LX 8X42’s I compared it to. Yes, I saw more with my 7X42 than with the 8X42 Nikon (and other top 8X42’s I might add).

The differences may seem minor, but to me they are very important. Unfortunately, my eyes don’t accommodate as well as they once did.

John

Thank´s for charing your thoughts!

It doesn´t look like it´s any big improve (if it is any improve at all) to get the Premier 8x42 instead of the SE. As I said earlier in this thread: I can live with the points I listed above. The most imported to me is the colours..and there seems the SE have an advantage. I think the colours are as good as they gets (for me) in the SE. They are also very alike the colours in my scope - the Fieldscope ED82. And that is a nice thing I think.

Many seems to have a lot of problem to look through the SE - for me this isn´t any problem at all. I normaly use spectacles when birding, but I have tested to look through the binos without spectacles too. No problem! The trick is probably to hold the binos a little bit away from the eyes when looking through them.

So..I will probably not change my SE´s to a pair of Premier 8x42 after all.

/Jonas

Many seems to have a lot of problem to look through the SE - for me this isn´t any problem at all.

I do not have a problem looking through the SE either. I have yet to experience the "black out" or "kidney bean" effect that is occasionally mentioned. I do not think you are really gaining anything by switching to the 8x42 LX except for waterproofing and a slightly brighter image in dim situations.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back