• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk unidentified bird (1 Viewer)

FeathersMcGraw

United Kingdom
Hi, I'm in Norfolk just north of Norwich, not coastal. I am sure this is not a rare bird just difficult to identify. My guess is that it is a youngster so plumage is different, I did wonder at young Fieldfare but not sure they breed here, anyone got a more realistic idea they could offer please.

Attachments

• 20220825_164314.jpg
    20220825_164314.jpg
    709.1 KB · Views: 106
  • 20220825_164317.jpg
    20220825_164317.jpg
    699.5 KB · Views: 106
Hello,
welcome to birdforum!

First and maybe important to a new member: any remarks about picture quality arent meant as an offense, just saying, why this is a difficult bird for me:

I agree with you, its a Thrush, either a Blackbird or a Fieldfare for me too. And I think, the appearant=gut/jizz feeling of a Fieldfare is the result of heavy moult and strong artefacts (sharpening and low resolution). And that your bird is a Blackbird:
  • Some blackbirds have weird looking heads (see recent threads here on BF. Thanks!) Yes, doesnt exclude Fieldfare
  • Although first look seems to show features of a Fieldfare, I cant match pattern/coluration to a Fieldfare after closer look.
  • Should a 1cy Fieldfare show clear yellow bill at this time of the year? Err, yes ???
  • Large patterns of black seems better for a Blackbird
Do you have more pictures? I learned again, how difficult it is to be sure of features with pictures of this quality. Again: no offence!

Thankyou all for kindly replying. Alexander I took no offence at the blurry photo comment, it is what it is, zoomed to max on the phone taken quickly and no further pics taken. I've seen a few young blackbirds in my time just never one so contrasting with different blocks of colour. Anyway no matter how tatty :LOL:he/she is more than welcome.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back