• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Old porro 7x50 (2 Viewers)

ReinierB

Netherlands
Hello,

My recently passed away father, may he rest in peace, left this old porro. No brand is mentioned. Where does it come from? Does somebody know that?
It quite we bright and sharp pair of binoculars. A bit of a yellowish glow, but still quite a nice and 3D view.

Just wondering if it has any value and what the origin of it is.
7x50. The exit pupil is monstrous! I can see the appeal of that.

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2024-03-29 at 15.49.41 (1).jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2024-03-29 at 15.49.41 (1).jpeg
    186.8 KB · Views: 37
  • WhatsApp Image 2024-03-29 at 15.49.41.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2024-03-29 at 15.49.41.jpeg
    319.1 KB · Views: 37
My condolences Reinier, can’t help you with the origins of this binocular but its a great treasure because it belonged to your late father. For years i used the old 8x20 Eschenbach of my late father until I bought a Leica 10x25 and gave the Eschenbacht to my kid brother. Vrolijk Pasen.

My condolences. Could you check the front ot the hinge? There might be a J-B or J-E number stamped on the hinge which would tell you who made these. But not all Japanese binos carry those numbers.
Value of the bino might be around 20-30 € on eBay. As Foss mentioned, more of a sentimental value. But I bought excellent binos for that money. And I have a ton of old Japanese porros -- some are excellent.

My condolences. Could you check the front ot the hinge? There might be a J-B or J-E number stamped on the hinge which would tell you who made these. But not all Japanese binos carry those numbers.
Value of the bino might be around 20-30 € on eBay. As Foss mentioned, more of a sentimental value. But I bought excellent binos for that money. And I have a ton of old Japanese porros -- some are excellent.
Nothing. Except this:

Attachments

• 20240329_223706.jpg
    20240329_223706.jpg
    639.8 KB · Views: 15
Sorry, bad picture.
Something B12
Something 512
I think.

Probably from Japan then.
As said, quite a nice 3D view! A keeper 🙂

J-E12 and J-B17, which translates to:
J-E12: Orora Kogaku Co. Ltd. who delivered the bodywork
J-B17: Otake Kogaku Kogyo Co. Ltd. Tokyo, who put the bino together (and made the optics, I think but am not sure).
Some say, the lower those numbers, the higher the quality, as the first 20 Companies on the list and their employees were the ones that started all the rest of the Japanese bino production, as per "miniaturebinoculars". J-B7 for instance is Nikon.
But I have a few binos with numbers in the hundreds that are excellent, like a J-B207. J-B133 is Kamakura for example.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back