• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Opticron stay on case (for Nikon fieldscope!) (1 Viewer)

dwatsonbirder

Can anyone help me identify the case in the below images please? I'm trying to figure out which case would fit (roughly) a Nikon ED82.

Thanks in advance!

1665609455507.png 1665609492287.png 1665609527612.png
I suspect it must be either of the cases for the MM77 or the ES80 series, but any pointers appreciated!

Hi,

It looks similar to the green Opticron stay-on case that I recently bought with my MM4 60. The roll-back cover over the coarse and fine focus knobs may be diagnostic :). However the velcro fastener tab for the objective lens cover is at 12 o'clock, whereas the tab on my MM4 is (annoyingly) at 3 o'clock. Maybe it's an older case or perhaps the green and black cases Opticron currently offer are different designs. If that's a Nikon ED63 in the picture for size comparison then you are probably right - it's an Opticron MM77 case. The eyepiece on the scope in the case looks similar to the zoom on my ED 50, so it could be an Opticron case on Nikon 82, but the Nikon helical focus ring may be too far forward to line up with the hole in the case revealed when you roll back the cover, because it's designed to align with focus knobs on the back of the prism housing.

Hope that's helpful instead of adding to the confusion !

Thanks John - that is an ED78 in the image, so I'm hoping that as the focus ring is behind the tripod foot it will be recessed further back and will work. I took a punt on the case for the ES80 series, and hoping that it will work. If it can be used as a stay on case, that'd be a win, but as long as it fits and provides some protection for travelling, I'll be happy enough.
I'll post some thoughts and photos when it arrives in case anyone is in a similar situation and struggling to find an alternative case.
Maybe I should just replace my Nikon scopes with Opticron equivalents at this point!

Thanks John - that is an ED78 in the image, so I'm hoping that as the focus ring is behind the tripod foot it will be recessed further back and will work. I took a punt on the case for the ES80 series, and hoping that it will work. If it can be used as a stay on case, that'd be a win, but as long as it fits and provides some protection for travelling, I'll be happy enough.
I'll post some thoughts and photos when it arrives in case anyone is in a similar situation and struggling to find an alternative case.
Maybe I should just replace my Nikon scopes with Opticron equivalents at this point!
Not sure I would put up with turning a focus ring with one finger through the opening on the top. When I had my Swarovski STS 80 I preferred to grip the ring with a finger at 12 o'clock and thumb at 6 o'clock, but if it's a travel case and not a stay-on case I guess that won't bother you. However, I wouldn't want to wrestle the case off my MM4 every time I went birding. It took me half an hour to get it on, so that's where it's staying !

IIRC the ED78 had a reputation for being optically very good, but heavy compared with the competition back then and now. So if you are looking to save weight then Opticron might be the way to go. I recently traded in my Swarovski STS80 for an MM4 60 because it had been sitting in the cupboard unused for years because I got sick of lugging the weight about, and the ED50 was such a joy to use. However I have some question marks against the optical quality of the Opticron SDL v3 zoom with my MM4 60 compared with the Nikon MC2 zoom and 27x fixed lenses I use with my ED50. I seem to be getting some colour fringing with the Opticron zoom I never saw in the 10 years I have used the ED50. So if optical quality is your priority I would look carefully before you switch. The Nikon eyepieces may be out of date in terms of FOV and ergonomics but they may still hold their own for optical quality.

Cheers John - that is a kind and detailed reply, tbh, I am more than happy with my Nikon scopes and would rather spend the money on birding trips than an upgrade - they resolve as good if not better than my eyes can, so marginal gains for a significant outlay.
I'll see how the case falls, if it can be modified in some way, that may help, otherwise I'll just use it for storage at home or when transporting it. 👍🏼

A little update as I've received the case today, some points which may be of use:
  • The case (for ES80 series) does indeed fit the Nikon FS 82ED and definitely offers a good amount of protection.
  • The focus wheel is located as such that it can be used whilst the case is on, I've put a cable tie in towards the objective end to give a bit more room underneath for finger and thumb focusing.
  • There is about 35mm excess material at the objective end, which I don't think will affect usability - the design is slightly flared at the end, and if you extend the sun shade, it shouldn't inadvertently block the objective in high winds.​
  • The case for the MM77 may offer a better fit as it is a bit shorter, but I'm unsure if it would accommodate the additional 5mm of the objective lens.​
I've added a few images showing the scope in the case as well as the various access locations. I think for anyone looking for a good quality aftermarket case for the ED82/Monarch 82, this represents good value for money.

Attachments

• 20221015_115551.jpg
    20221015_115551.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 15
  • 20221015_115603.jpg
    20221015_115603.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 15
  • 20221015_115618.jpg
    20221015_115618.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 16
  • 20221015_115819.jpg
    20221015_115819.jpg
    1,006.6 KB · Views: 14
  • 20221015_115825.jpg
    20221015_115825.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 14
  • 20221015_115845.jpg
    20221015_115845.jpg
    1,005.5 KB · Views: 15
Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back